Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've kept African cichlids for years, and I just started up a new 55 gallon tropical tank for my wife. She chose Texas holey rock, and pool filter sand. I cleaned it all well before adding. I pulled some bio media from my cichlid tank to help seed this new tank.

Now it's about 4 months later. I've been going through cycles of white cloudy water and green cloudy water. I do 15% to 25% water change every week. The only way I can get clear water is to do a 90% water change, but it turns cloudy again a week or so later. This is my first time using a sand substrate, I've always used gravel in the past.

I understand that tanks will continue to cycle after the nitrogen cycle has finished, but how can I fix this issue? What do you think is causing it? Any thoughts, suggestions, or questions are appreciated.

I'm using the same dechlorinated tap water as I'm using in my cichlid tanks (which are nice and clear). I don't think I'm over feeding. The tank is not in direct sunlight, and the light is on a timer so it is constant. Why am I getting algea blooms, and then what appears to be bacteria blooms? The water does NOT have that dirty fish tank smell.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Organic overload. What you're seeing is both algae and probably heterotrophic bacteria blooms. Both are from excess organics, not the rocks and sand.

Causes can be overfeeding, overstocking, deep sand beds loaded with organics, filters that need to be cleaned, rocks that need to be cleaned out from under, etc. Examine the system for any/all of these conditions. Vacuum out, rinse and replace the sand if needed. Don't go real deep, just give them what they need.

While it's true that light plays a part in algae blooms, I really feel the nutrients are the big contributor. If you're running moderate light for typical duration, then that's not the issue. Cutting off the light may remove it temporarily, but not cure the problem.

HTH

·
Registered
211 Posts
the sand wouldnt be the problem as pool fiter sand is very clean.

·
Registered
211 Posts
what is you ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. my guess is the nitrates are really high becasue this is what i had and my water would be cloudy

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
adam0444 said:
what is you ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. my guess is the nitrates are really high becasue this is what i had and my water would be cloudy
The organics would have caused both the high nitrates and the cloudy water. The cloudy water wasn't from the niitrates.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts