Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started my 55 gal tank with a carbon filter about a week or two ago and I have several african cichlids, 3 clown loaches, 3 long fin tetras, 3 ghost shrimp, a red tailed black shark, and a pleco. I just noticed the clown loaches and a cichlid with white speckles, so I googled and found out it was Ich :( I feel so bad for the fish.

I read the information on this site about Ich, but I still have a few questions
1) I started to raise the temperature of the tank to eventually reach 82 degrees. Right now, it is about 78 because I am slowly raising the temperature. Will raising the temperature to 82 degrees for a week or two with water cyphoning without adding salt or meds be enough?

2) How much salt and for how long did you guys treat your tank to rid the ich problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.
-A concerned fish keeper

·
Registered
116 Posts
Salt is not really needed the temp alone will be enough to kill the ich, I would take it gradually up to 85 and leave it there for two full weeks, the only thing you need to worry about at this temp is not having enough oxygen in the water you can leave the water level a little lower than normal so it splashes when it comes out of the filter to help with that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read the ich article from this forum before I posted so I could get some direct answers for my novice questions. Thanks for the info anyways GTZ! Much appreciated.

bpman25, thanks for your input as well.

So, just raising my temperature to 85 degrees alone is enough to take care of the ich problem? I can leave my fish in the tank while its set at 85 degrees? I looked around and the optimal temperature for the fish is below 82 (or so I've read). I just want to make sure with you guys because you guys have more knowledge than me on this situation.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The temp of 85 will be fine for your fish, you won't cook them. You want them in the tank when you raise the temp because they have parasites on them, the white bumps. These white bumps will fall off and then create thousands more parasites, which is why you want to leave the temp for two weeks, you are giving the white bumps time to fall off your fish and when the new parasites are introduced to the 85 degree water they die.

G

·
no its above 85 degrees not 82 ich will live just fine at 82 degrees... i actually have some ich in my ca tank right now.. i bumped the temp up to 86 and am treating 3/4 strength with malachite green... aka the blue ich drops that are only 3 bucks at walmart... if you caught it fast before its really bad on them they will def live... its jus when it gets real real bad that the ich actually suffocate the fish

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help you guys. Now at 85 degrees, the wait begins to see these bugs die! Poor poor fish. They just look so sad.

G

·
yea what happens is that after 24 hours in your fish they fall to the gravel and multiply then jump back into your fish and repeat that over and over... if i were you id use some drops too.. but thats just me.. some fish are really weak when it comes to ich meds.. idk *** never had a problem ill bump the temp up and use drops... but i tend to overdue things... better safe than sorry is my motto

1 - 8 of 8 Posts