Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago I changed my gf's tank substrate from gravel to sand. We also introduced a small petsmart angelfish into the aquarium around the same time.

The other day we lost one of the angels (that had been in the tank for probably a month). It seemed that he had a swim bladder issue and was floating to the surface and swimming sideways. He died eventually.

Now i have a fish, the largest angel, which seems to be in disequilibrium as well. It seems that there is nothing protruding from the anus although the fins of the fish appear slightly frayed. He is hiding near the bottom in the corner of the aquarium when he is typically out and about.

Could this be due to the fish digesting the PFS or could this be something introduced by the new angel? Or could this be bacterial in nature?

I have dosed the tank with epsom salt. What else can i do?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
the PFS shouldn't have had any effect (and if it did, surely it'd make them sink)

just wondering if theres any sign on violence, adding another angel might have caused a fight potentially damaging the swimbladder.

its also possible that there is a bacterial cause (always quarantine!!!!) I would consider dosing with melafix as I've found it helpful with stressed fish, and will help with the fins

1 - 3 of 3 Posts