Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was wondering if it would be doable to have 2 or 3 discus with my 4 angelfish. i know that discus do best in shoals of 5 or 6 but since i do not have the money for so many i wanted to know if angelfish could substitute. thanks :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sure, why not. I've done it and have only one discus with a dozen angels. I read on the simplydiscus forum that it wasn't a good idea because angels are more aggressive and the discus won't get enough food. My discus is more aggressive than my angels and it always gets it's full share.

Many discus people don't agree that you should keep angels and discus together for various reasons including disease and agressiveness. Checkout the opinions on Simplydiscus

·
Registered
705 Posts
i have an angel in with my 6 discus atm. only reason i let it roll, is that the angel is very passive and kinda tends to assist the discus with eatting habits. imo you have to overfeed since discus tend to be finicky eaters. also consider your local craigslist for discus. its what i did and i ended up with 6 really nice ones for around 60$. GF couldnt be happier. just be ready to rehouse an angel or two if they get mean. also discourage angels breeding. if you end up with a pair theyre gonna kill the discus for sure. i have just the one angel in with 10 tetras 6 discus, 3 corie cats, and a pleco. o and some babie festivums that are growing out. regular water checks and water changes accordingly r going to be key to the discus health tho. so keep in mind its gonna take some work. nothing like 50% daily but at least 50% weekly and then maybe a couple bucket changes throughout the week. works out for me. GL to ya. sry for the run ons :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts