Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the recomended tank size for four full grown angels?Have a 45g show tank oct acrilic.They look like a kid in a candy store they share with a geo.pictus cat, pleco,2 honey gold gouramis,and a paradise gourami.Is this to much or is this just full?Going to get a bristlenose albino pleco to repace big pleco is that good switch?

·
Registered
117 Posts
google "Aqadvisor" and fill in all the details, that will tell you if its over stocked or not.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Sex of the angels is important when determining tank size. I doubt any more than one male will work in your tank with any females present. I keep two pairs in a 75 gallon and things still get a bit ugly at times. I suggest get one pair and rehome the other two. In regaurds to the geophagus, what species? Most geos should be kept in social groups in 6 foot+ tanks. Bristlenose plecos are almost always a better choice than common plecos.

·
Registered
705 Posts
*** got a pair alone in a 25g tall tank. they wont let anyone else live in their tank. no matter wat. and even then they treat each other like ****. gouramis also can get huge so idk if long term thatd work.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well actually was just given a 5th angel today,a full grown angel he dwarves the rest but i was told he was tankmates with other angel fry.Good to know that when they pair off they are more like normal cichlids because as of now they are really shy and the geo is the dominant fish of the tank. was hoping to find a pair thats why we started with 4 but recently i was told 7or8 are needed to insure a pair is this true that is one of the reasons i took the other angel and was going to remove the gouramis.Just waiting for the bristlenose plecos to come in.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
took advise geo and gouramis are returned kept pictus cat and pleco until i pick up a bristlenose,and one of the larger angels is showing himself to be male(really showing readyto spawn i bet)

·
Registered
705 Posts
angels r pretty easy to sex when they get to breeding size. each will have a drooping thing where they're anus is. females will be much larger males tend to stay pretty small. more reasearch online will help u figure it out. also females get pretty fat before tube descends.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks didnt know that a female angel gets bigger than a male have two angels one is at least 8in its bigger than the large angels that you might get from the pet store,and the other is a large angel from a pet store wich was pointed out to be a male. how hard is it to find a pair?can you just add them together and nature take over or time is what makes a pair?new to angels how different are they than other ca/sa cichlids?

·
Registered
329 Posts
angels are harder to get pairs with. my dad has been trying to get a pair for a long time now but it doesn't seem to be working out. but i think finally we might be getting somewhere. we have 6 angels in a tank now tht are about 6in tall at the max and i think some are starting to pair off. :dancing:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i got some direction i know how to sex angels pretty well now ithink and from what i see we have 6 males and one female have to do somthing about that soon.I am housing some bichirs with the angels unyil they get some size to go back in my ca/sa cichlid tank.The angels dont even notice them.well all seven angels go from about 7in to 3in the only female is 4 1/2in dont know how this is going to work all the males are constantly chasing her lately.Any suggestions?Have a friend that might trade a few males for a bigger female.Would that be better?

·
Registered
329 Posts
well honestly there is no sure fire way to tell the sex until they have either layed eggs or not. but i would get ride of a couple males and get tht female and see if a pair comes out then move the pairs around so it one in a tank.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks rof the advice.Probably going to get females and let them pair off and then go from there.As of right now all are getting along pretty well but another female might break up the dynamics.Hoping to keep two pairs in the tank its a 45g acrilic oct show tank.

·
Registered
697 Posts
By oct, do you mean octagon. I missed that in your first post. That makes a big difference. It is best to approach stocking based on the tanks demensions rather than the volume of water it holds. What is the aprox. footprint and height of the tank? Each angel pair should have at least 24" x 12" space.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im am a little embarassed right now actually at second look it is a hex and it is a 75g dont know what i was thinking going just by what the previous owner told me(not the smartest guy,what does that make me,the guy who listened to him)Thank you for the info its helpful (now that i know that what size it really is)

·
Registered
432 Posts
A 75 should be good, but hex don't have the same room to escape a bully. If you do get a pair or two there could still be trouble. I have a 65g and had young angels in it, they paired up and my smallest female would keep the rest of the tank of angels etc in about 1/4 of the tank after she layed eggs. In the end someone got the eggs as I didn't have the space to give the pair a tank of their own.

Enjoy your angels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts