Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to set up a 50 gallon breeder style planted angelfish aquarium with two pairs of angels. I have been doing alot of reading on angels and understand that they need tall aquariums. My question is will a 50 gallon aquarium at 19.5 inches tall be sufficient for them? Another query I had was what are some suitable tank mates that won't eat the eggs if possible. In the end I plan to buy 8 juvies in the wild coloration and grow them out in a 20 gallon high. Then I will hopefully get 3 pairsa so I can place two pairs in the 50 gallon as more show pieces and then keep one of the pairs in the 20gallon high. One last question I have is whether angelfish pairs will raise fry from other fishes spawns? I was hoping of removing some of the fry from the 50 gallon so the pair in the 20 gallon could raise them without the fry being eaten.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
It depends on the species of angel you want to work with, and if you want to get full height specimens or not. I've kept Pterophyllum scalare in only 20 inch tall tanks and they never seemed as tall as what others were in 24 inch tall tanks despite more/heavier feedings and more (both frequent and percentage) water changes. Based on that, and the fact I'd want full height angels ... I would go with the following:

Pt. leopoldi/dumerilii - 20 inch height (still some debate as to which one is the correct name for the species)
Pt. scalare - 24 inch height
Pt. altum - 30 inch height

Though note I do tend to be overly conservative when it comes to stocking. :wink:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to work with scalare. Altum is at the top of my list but from what I have read they need large aquariums and are quite a challenge to breed. Not to mention the price on these guys. All in all how would 2 pairs of scalare work out in my tank?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
They will be confortable in that tank, at least I was able to breed silver angels back as a teen with a overcrowded tank ... didn't even eat their eggs. So they can be comfortable, just may not reach their ultimate height in it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not to sound crude but how manyt fry do you think I could pump out and sell with three pairs? I was thinking about growing to 1 inch. Also what should I sell them for?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts