Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can angelfish breed with other cichlids? I have a male marble angel and a female threadfin. They are acting all broody together and i wondered if they could have bred, both being cichlids and i know African ones can and often cross breed. Thanks

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
I don't see anything that says he's keeping an angelfish with Africans...

Sorry, but what is the "threadfin"? Do you mean the eartheater?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i know its not African, unless the amazon has moved contents, think its Latin name is acarichthys heckilii. As far as i know the new school of thought is that they are not eartheaters anymore, but not 100% on that. Just wanna know if they can breed or not. Thanks

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Yes, they're heckelii, which is what I thought you might have ;) They're not considered Geophagus, but they are absolutely still one of the "eartheater" species.

Highly unlikely that they would pair up with an angel though, although nothing is impossible. They may go through all the motions but it probably isn't going to amount to anything.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Heckelii has a very specialized breeding strategy, they dig caves into the river bank to spawn, it is a really interesting fish in many ways.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If they are mixed in with the eggs then that's bad eggs tht have fungused. The parents usually take care of it by removing them from the good eggs. If all of them look this way then the batch is bad. Either your male didn't get the job done in time or one of them is sterile. This is also not uncommon at all for the first spawn or two from a pair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts