Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a couple spawns in my community tank, where the eggs were eaten by other tankmates, I decided to move my apisto pair and tetras from my 29 to a 20 high, but I left 6 cories. i moved a amazon sworn and made the take more angel friendly. I then introduced the pair to the tank. After about 10 days, I observed the two spawning on the sword. The males breeding tube appeared to be very large, which led me to believe that he was a confused she. I checked in on the eggs several times a day for about 4 days. 1/3 of the eggs turned white and the others seemed to be doing nothing. Then yesterday morning all the eggs were gone. I thought they had been eaten. This morning I went to feed the pair and noticed some white specks on a peice of wood. I thought the other "female" droped her eggs, but wait, they eggs have little tails. I've read that angels are often bad parents, but thing seem fine at this point. Should I move the angels and cories or just let things be? Also, how long until I should be expecting them to be free swimming?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Congrats on the successful spawn, Angels aren't known for their skills as parents :lol: They should free swim about three to five days after hatching. I have never known cories to eat fry, if you try to catch the cories, you may stress the parents and they could eat the fry.

Ray

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just to be clear, the wigglers aren't on the bottom of the tank, right? Cories could be eating them, but, not likely unless they are on the bottom of the tank in the substrate.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are on a peice of wood that sticks straight up off the bottom. They are about 3 inches from the water surface. My reasoning for keeping the cories was that the angels would likely keep the egg/fry on high ground. I'm not sure why the population was reduced so much over night. One of the parents must of had a midnight snack or some died and the parents cleaned them up.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fry are finally starting to swim. The parents are working hard to keep them on the peice of wood. Only about 15 or so have made it to this point, but it seems I have two good parents, so I'm sure they will have many successful spawns in the future. Any suggestions on when I should move the fry to their growout tank?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats on your new angels. It has been my experience that it takes the parents two or three spawns to get it right. The babies will also do best with newly hatched brine shrimp or decapsulated brine shrimp eggs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the fry are free swimming you could move them now. It's neat to watch them with their parents though. Just depends on how good the parents are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts