Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 25 gallon tank with some infant angels, barbs, and a baby parrot. They've been in the tank for 4 months, the parrot being the most recent addition about 2 months ago.

Of the angels, there were two black ones which I can't judge the age but they're about 1.5-2 inches long (the other ones are silver/black striped and koi angels). One of the black ones died recently. We actually have no idea why, but one day it was fine, the next day it had cloudy eyes and then just died.

Anyways, the other black one now refuses to eat. It looks physically fine, as do all the other fish, except before it would always eat, now it just stares at the top corner of the tank... constantly. Again, it's swimming okay minus the fact that it likes staying in that one spot, but rather than eating it stares at the corner.

Waving my hand at the corner gets it away for a bit, but it simply goes back. We tried to find out what it was looking at but there's nothing there. They seem a bit young to have chosen a mate, and do fish even get depressed when their like-species die?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I am not sure of the cause, although I expect a virus, for those symptoms. I have lost quite a few angels to that over the years. It will sometimes kill one fish in a tank and not bother the others. No treatment I have tried has done any good. Sometimes it will take a few weeks but they eventually die. Other than the odd behaviour and not eating, they exhibit no symptoms of illness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, a little update.

Seems his loss of appetite lasted a month but recently I got him to eat a TINY bit, aka like one small flake a day. Any more than that and he'd simply spit it back out after eating it. I got him to eat some bloodworms (2) and he actually ate them whole (kind of like all the other fish), but he'd poo them out whole and barely digested.

Seems his condition has worsened though, he's kind of in a daze now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts