Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 and stocked with 4 paraiba angles(semi-mateur) 12 lemon tetras, 8 rummy nose, 12 Cory's and 1 super red pleco…new to angels so is this stocked good or am I overstocked? Running a fx4 with plants…..was thinking of either adding a pair of discus or apistos..thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
No more fish! Your tank is just about 'right' at this point. The Angels and other fish in there are probably small in size at this point, right? Don't let your fish's small size now, fool your eye into thinking there isn't much fish in the tank! So, if you don't have one already, get a kit to measure the Nitrates in your water. You will need to maintain those water changes to keep measured levels of Nitrate down below 20 PPM. This is going to get harder to do, as the fish grow in size in the aquarium, (bio-load). To keep the water clean and healthy for your fish (and plants), you'll need to slowly up the water percentage and possibly even the frequency of those water percentages to keep the Nitrates diluted out of the aquarium.
Going with more plants can help with this effort, but it won't be a cure-all for those Nitrates if the tank is heavily stocked with fish.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have to both agree and disagree.

I disagree with the view that this tank is overstocked. A 75 will be fine for two pair of P. scalare, especially for highly line-bred types like Pariba. The tetras are small fishes that will contribute only marginally to the bioload, as will the cory's. And with an FX4 running this tank, your filtration should be more than adequate.

I agree with the view that you don't want to add too many more fishes. For sure, you do not want to add discus to this tank, as that is a whole different ballgame. A few of the larger and more hardy Apisito's? Sure. Small Acara's? Ditto, but in either case you may want to re-home the pleco.

I also totally agree with all the suggestions about water management.

Keep an eye on the angels as they mature, pair off, and establish territories. Use plants (e. g. Vallisneria) to break up the sight lines in the tank as an aid to delineating the boundaries of the territories.

You're on the right track; enjoy! :fish:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts