Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way, aside from if they spawn and the eggs hatch, to know if I have a male and female angel that have paired off?

I have 3 angels, they were all together in a 56 gallon. Just this week the 2 koi started beating up the black. By Thursday I had to remove her(pretty sure it's a female) as they had beaten her up pretty bad, it wasn't super noticeable until then.

The two koi haven't laid any eggs but them being a pair is the only thing I can think of that would cause this behavior since I didn't just add the black, she'd been in there with the one koi for a couple months prior to adding the other one and it's buddy who unfortunately died.

I don't want to have to bring the black back to the fish store I got her from, but if the 2 koi have paired off, I'll have to re-home the black as I'm going to try to get my own house this year and don't want to have to worry about water and electricity bills being super expensive so I'm going to reduce to one tank, my 56. Right now the black is in my 40 gallon so she can recover.

Would you say the koi have paired off? Or what else could it be?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
It is probable they have paired if they are showing pair behaviour. It is possible that you have two females paired off. I had this happen even with a male in the tank. You will have to wait to see if they spawn, and if the eggs hatch. the only way to visibly tell for sure is when the breeding tubes drop. The males is pointed and the females is larger and blunt. In wild angels there is often a slight difference in profile where the body tapers into the anal fin. This seems to have been bred out of domestic one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So how long do you recommend I wait to see if they do indeed spawn? I'm not planning on moving in the next couple months(as long as I get a house before next winter I'm good) so I do have time to wait, I just want to get down to one tank prior to moving so I don't have to mess with everything for 2 tanks and then have to worry about possibly killing any fish by putting them all in one tank after moving when they weren't all in it to begin with.

If they don't spawn in whatever time frame you'd suggest I wait to see if they do, what do you suggest I do about the black angel? Should I bring her back to the fish store or should I get another largish angel and put the 2 in the tank at the same time so any aggression isn't directed at one fish specifically? I'd really rather, if it's possible, have more then 2 angels so when I do move if the stress of it causes one of them to die I'll have at least 2 without having to buy another one or two.

I've never had angels spawn before, except once and I didn't notice anything until the eggs had been laid, so I didn't notice any different behavior. Everyone in the tank was fine, no major aggression towards the other angels in it. So how do I know if they're showing pairing behavior? The aggression towards the black is the only thing I have to go off of right now as I know from reading here and there that paired angels can become aggressive towards other angels.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Watch and see if the two start to clean an area such as a rock or the filter tube. I could tell when my lone female would be ready to lay eggs because she would vigorously clean a spot (usually the filter intake tube but she has also chosen Anubias leaves). She would also get a bit more aggressive toward the other fish and also her egg tube would be very visible.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, how long should I give them to see if they spawn? They still haven't done anything. They have looked like they were cleaning spots, but not intensely.

And what would you do with the other angel? Would you recommend I buy another biggish angel and introduce the 2 at the same time to disperse any aggression? Or should I just bring the black to the fish store and stay with the 2 koi?

I just need to know sooner rather then later what I should do with the black since I can't afford to keep 2 tanks going when I do get my own house and I'd like to get the 40 all cleaned up and ready to not be used long before I move.

·
Registered
352 Posts
What is the footprint of the 56 gallon? 30" x 18" I think? If it is, I personally would re-home the black angel and just keep the pair in the 56 gallon.

Not sure what to tell you on how long to wait to see if they spawn. I guess they will do it when they're ready.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do I tell what the "footprint" is? I've honestly never heard that term until joining this board so I have no idea how to figure this out.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The footprint would be the length and width of the tank.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, 30 x 18 as you thought.

Now another question, do you think one angel in a 29 gallon, long, would be okay? I'm thinking if I could find a house that's cheap enough(and someone at work told me about some program in the county I'm looking in that helps people with certain income levels with down payments) that I could run my 29 and 56 without too much more electricity and water use since the 29 is so small compared to the 56. Obviously I won't know until I seriously start looking, but I just really don't want to re-home this fish if there is a way to keep it. So if it's at all possible to house it with other fish in a 29, I'd consider getting the 29 running again once I moved. If not, then I might give it to my mom(just worried since she's not too good at cleaning her aquarium). This is just a thought so let me know if you think it would be okay or not.

·
Registered
697 Posts
What are the demensions of a 29 long. I keep a pair in a 29 gallon. 30L x 12W x18H. Angels are one of the few cichlids where the height of the tank is important.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think a 29 gallon would be the minimum I would keep one angel in and as long as the tank is at least 18" tall. Angels need the height in a tank because of their tall shape.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts