Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These were shot with a 50mm manual focus Nikon lens on an Olympus E300. Flash above tank with the on camera flash as fill. Probably 1/180 or 1/250 and around f/5.6.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Riceburner said:
These were shot with a 50mm manual focus Nikon lens on an Olympus E300. Flash above tank with the on camera flash as fill. Probably 1/180 or 1/250 and around f/5.6.
Cool, and whats the f number of the lens? thinking of getting a 50mm for my cannon, hopfully will alow me to increase my shutter speed, current speed is 1/60.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Hawkins - I'd guess it's f/1.8, but you'll notice the aperture he was using was smaller than that - f/5.6. You need more light instead of faster glass, as unless you're going with the top 50mm lens out there, the optics aren't nearly as good at f/1.8 as they are at smaller apertures. Plus, smaller apertures give you more room for fudges with depth of field and focusing, which can both be a challenge with fish photography. Grab Canon's nifty 50 (it's something like 40-50 bucks) and a flash to use as slave over the tank. :thumb:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. It's one of my new faves. In the original the rock isn't as burnt, might fix it though.

The 50mm is a Nikon f/1.4, but I don't use it that open most of the time with the fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts