Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read an article in a National Geographic which said that Mbunas judge each others rank by the size and colour. I was wondering if this would work between two differently coloured species. For example, would my Yellow Lab (which has good colour for a Yellow Lab) see my Maingano (which has great colour for a Maingano) as more dominant?

Also, in two species with the same level of aggression, which trumps which, size or colour?

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
I'd be interested to read that article.

Whatever observations are made, it's in a lake. Some species only occur on one small reef. Over time and evolution, I would assume each species recognizes the other fish that occupy the same reef, just as a bass recognizes a crappie, sunfish or pike in a North American lake.

It would be difficult to relate that study to our aquariums. Sure, the largest fish is often the 'tank boss.' But different species have different levels of aggression/territoriality. Or those species who don't hold territories in the wild, do so in a glass box. C. Demasoni is non territorial in the wild, but the complete opposite in our tanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts