Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im interested n getting an Amphilophus species. I want a pair but don't have room for a huge tank. What is the smallest of that family? I've only kept RD n the past

·
Registered
70 Posts
Robertsoni males can reach up to 10 inches. females a bit smaller. Tank size would be 500 liters or possibly a bit less depending on company.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's not too bad, but I'm lookin for something a little bit smaller. Maybe ill try another family. But what about Lyonsi, anyone have info on those?

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Robertsoni are now astatheros, no longer amphilophus... And males can be perticularly hard on females so tank size matters...

Experience tells me you might want to consider something a bit smaler. Are ther any SA species you might be interested in?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm considering a few species right now. Salvini's, Sajica, HRP, Cutteri's, or maybe Lyonsi if the don't get too large. One site I saw said they get like 15 cm SL, but I'm not sure what that means. And the same site also said Amphilophus Xilo. gets 16 cm SL. Can yall help me out on what that means and is it accurate, cuz 16 cm is only a little more than 6 inches and that would be fine to me.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi Rigo,

"SL" stands for standard length, which means measured from nose to the base of the tail (i.e. not including tail). The other measurement abbreviation is "TL", which stands for total length; implying the measured tip to tip including tail.

I was questioning the 16cm SL on the Xilo from that website as well. I have never kept one but seen some pretty large looking ones on the internet.

What size tank are you stocking?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm stocking a 75. I knew that 6 in. didn't sound right for a Xilo. either. I want something that can be comfortable n that tank for its whole life with a pair and maybe some dithers if possible. Robertsoni and Xilo. seem too big. I'm thinking Sajica, but would like an Amphilophus if I could find one to fit. Nobody has experience with Lyonsi? Just curious

·
Registered
589 Posts
Rigo said:
I'm considering a few species right now. Salvini's, Sajica, HRP, Cutteri's, or maybe Lyonsi if the don't get too large. One site I saw said they get like 15 cm SL, but I'm not sure what that means. And the same site also said Amphilophus Xilo. gets 16 cm SL. Can yall help me out on what that means and is it accurate, cuz 16 cm is only a little more than 6 inches and that would be fine to me.
Any of these are winners

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everybody. One more question and this may sound dumb but u think I could keep too pairs in a 75 of the smaller growing cichlids? Say HRP's, Rainbows, Convicts, Yellow Dwarfs, etc.?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Its possible. although I would stay away from convicts as they can get mean specially if they start to breed. But that is my personal opinion.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really like Sajica's they are my first choice, guess I'm gonna work off of that and find something a little different. Maybe Calico Convicts, or maybe HRP. Just a little worried at the blue in the HRP's but they really look different to me. Cutteri would be my second choice but they are probably too similar.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts