Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a 150 gallon tank tomorrow. I want red terrors. I would like to start with 6 until a pair forms, and then get rid of the others. I would also like some other species in this tank. Maybe a couple bottom / alge feeders, and maybe another species. Can anyone with Red Terror experience provide me with some recomendations? Also, can I trust local fish stores to special order me actual Red Terrors, or is there someone better to get them from?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I have never kept them myself, but around here if you order red terrors from most lfs you would get mayan cichlids instead of festae. In fact, I saw true festae for the first time in a lfs on sat. So the order would depend on how common they are where you live. For instance, if I wanted some I would either get them via mailorder or order them from this one LFS that has the true ones ... becuase the odds would be better than a place that has mayan's listed as red terrors (even though it is hard to tell the differance with some races of mayans when young).

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
True Festae aren't hard to come by out here in California, though they're costly.

I've never personally bred them, but know a few people with breeding pairs and the general concensus I've seen is that in the long term a single pair will need a 180 gallon tank for the male not to eventually kill the female.

They're highly aggressive, probably the most aggressive of all SA cichlids - as far as tank mates are concerned. I've seen dither fish such as silver dollars used, as well as pleco's - but never anything else.

I would check over at monsterfishkeepers.com as I know there are quite a few users there that keep, and breed festae.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
eakdaman said:
Also, can I trust local fish stores to special order me actual Red Terrors, or is there someone better to get them from?
Depends on the store. I had a store that just closed and they would order anything for me correctly, but that depends on who you are working with. If it is a smaller LFS and you can deal directly with the manager I've had good luck. Alternately, ask them if they order from seagrest (sp?)farms in florida, lots of shops do. They have an online catalog for consumers where you can get the part number and give that to your LFS. At the LFS I trusted he would just pull up their website and I would watch him order it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Jeff Rapps at Tangledupincichlids.com has true red terrors for 7 bucks a peice I think. ABout 1.5 inches. Jeff Is relible as most would probably agree.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
[quote"TFG"]Excpect to be waiting a long time for them to grow...[/quote]

about how long? I was think of getting some.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yea are they unusually slow growerS? How are they compared to green terrors, or trimacs?

·
Registered
326 Posts
SO they grow very slow eh

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
As with any SA fish, keeping nitrates under 20 ppm and power feeding somthing with a protein content of at least 40%, preferably 50% until they reach about half of their adult size will yield good results, but requires bare bottom tanks and a lot of water changes to keep up...

·
Registered
77 Posts
so are these fish considered rare? anyone here have pics of their's?

·
Registered
326 Posts
here is a video of a pair on youtube, thers links to more on the side. Man there is no other red in fresh water like a female red terror, I just want 1 female red terror in my SA 125

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can the Red Terrors take pellets, or are they an only live or frozen meet type fish?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, I just ordered 6 from Jeff Rapps. Its expensive to ship them, but at least I will be getting real Red Terrors. Thanks to the cichlid-forum, I was able to quickly diagnose the listed Red Terrors as fakes at my local fish store. How can these stores not know the difference?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts