Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With having ammonia at 0.50 after one week doing a 50% water change. Would it be safe doing a 75% water change? To drop ammonia levels. Or should I do partial 25% water changes? My tap water is reading 0.25 . I currently use prime as a water conditioner. This is a 180 gal tank. Mix peacocks and gaps.
Thanks in advance.
Jim

·
Super Moderator
2,034 Posts
Is this a newly set up tank? If so, it is possible your tank isn't fully cycled yet.

What are your test results for nitrite and nitrate?

A 50% water change will reduce your ammonia by half BUT the use of Prime will bind the ammonia making it less toxic to the fish and available to the bio filtration process.

Any additional details such as how long the tank has been set up, number/size of fish, filters used, etc. would be very helpful to answer questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tank is been set up for 8yrs. I have a wet/dry Aqueon that is adequate for a 300-gallon tank. Loads of bacteria built up in the bio balls and canister area. My nitrates are reading 5.0
Nitrites is 0. About 25 fish currently being housed. I solely just do weekly border changes. I don't use any types of Corbin or chemi-pure Wars or for that matter any chemicals besides Prime. As I've been doing the same thing for over 20 years. Never had any issues using this method.

·
Super Moderator
2,034 Posts
Thanks for the additional info.

How old or what is the expiration date on your test kits? I'm wondering if your test results are accurate since the tank is mature and nothing seems out of order. Maybe your water company bumped up the disinfectant levels due to a water main break or something similar.

I would point at the wet/dry needing cleaning if the nitrate level was high but I don't know if that also points to a higher ammonia level. When was the last time you cleaned either the wet/dry or the canister and did you happen to do both at the same time?

So having asked more questions than providing answers, I don't see any problem with doing a larger water change. What you may want to try is checking for ammonia every day after the water change and monitor the ammonia increase until the next water change. The usual cause of an ammonia spike in a mature tank that doesn't have any new fish added is a missing fish, excess food buildup somewhere in the tank, filter media that is clogged and no longer providing a place for the bacteria to grow well or a spike in the water supply disinfectant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking that it's the test kit has expired as it is 3 years old. I don't ever clean out my filter. the only thing I clean out is my socks in the filter. Most of the bacteria is built elsewhere in the filter. I never touch anything else but the socks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts