Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got my 75 setup with filter running. I bought some ammonia from wallmart. It seems to be just basic clear ammonia. Well I don't know what percent concentrated it is because it does not say. So I added a capful and took a reading about 6 minutes later. I think the ready was between 2-3 ppm or w/e, it was hard to tell. My question is how long after you add ammonia should you check your water? And does anyone have any experience with Clear Ammonia all purpose cleaner from walmart? It says GREAT VALUE on it and is 64 fl oz or 2 quarts. Ingredients are Softened Water , AMMONIA, and Chelating Agent. Contains no Phosphorus.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Typically, you'll want to wait 2 hours before taking a reading, that way it can circulate through the whole tank. When you took the reading, that portion of the tank had 2-3 ppm, but the other side might of had 15-20ppm

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also do I need to take the charcoal out of my filters while cycling?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes you need to take out the charcoal out of the filter. What charcoal does is asborbs the chemicals in the tank like ammonia. Run the filter minus the charcoal. Also for fishless cycle you want to be around 5ppm for the ammonia reading.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts