Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies to keep banging on about this but I just don't know what's going off.
Any ideas..?

Tank has been running for almost 3 months now and I still have ammonia of approx 0.50 to 1ppm
showing in my water test results right from day 1. Nitrite has stayed at 0 for about 6 or 7 weeks now
and Ph always 7.4, nitrite never seems to be any more than 5.

I'm doing water changes at least 2-3 times a week of approx 30-50 percent each time.

Would it be worth doubling the dose of prime I use for each water change..?

Tank has 10 fish in it of approx 2 inches each. - 90x50x50cm

Is it possible the tank has never fully been cycled or has the process stalled some how..?

· Registered
433 Posts
I read back on your last thread about ammonia, man you've been having this problem for a while. Only thing I can think of is either: over feeding, ammonia in the tap water, or bad test kit.

I actually had a test kit that was showing no ammonia during my cycle but I was putting ammonia in so I bought another test kit and it showed ammonia. I'm no expert on this, mind you.

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know tap water is 0 as tested that now on several occasions
Instead of buying a new test kit I might get my local shop to see what there readings say.

I mean last night I tested the tank water and it showed about 1ppm of ammonia
I reluctantly did a massive water change approx 75 - 80 percent and took quite a few rocks out and vaced under them.
I dosed with two full caps of prime, capful as the python was filling and one as almost full.

The readings this morning 8 hours later was 0.50ppm

From what I've been reading it sounds like new tank syndrome and the tank has never fully cycled
I'm convinced the bio I added at the start has messed with things.

Question is what can I do to get thinks running correct.

I've asked fish shops for old media but no luck

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I get a minute I'll post a pic of how much food I give them.
I even did a no feed day last Friday having previously water changed on the thur night, the test results still contained ammonia. I could understand if I was asking these questions after say 3 weeks but it's been 3 months now.
I've even wondered if some of the fake rocks I have are contaminating things.

Someone mentioned to do a 50/50 test taking equal amount of tank water out and mixing with tap water in fresh container
and then see what the test says compared with tank water only.

· Administrator
40,904 Posts
How much filter media do you have? I am always amazed at how little media is really necessary to grow enough beneficial bacteria, but you have a small tank and too many fish so worth asking. What is your filtration?

When did you change the media?

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use an Oase Bio Master 350t (heater built in)
The water first goes through a pre filter of sponges then
In the bottom tray has plastic like helix media (bio cells) which I doubt Is doing nothing.
Then 3 trays of sponges then like a finer polishing sponge at the top

A few weeks ago I did replace a sponge and put some nitrate balls in.

I have just recently purchased some purigen which I will stick in the top tray when I next water change.
Have also purchased some sechem matrix like pumice stones but reluctant to take another sponge out to replace with the stones.

If I could start over I would have pre filter, medium sponge then three chambers of k1 Biohome ultimate, which in England is considered the best filter media then finish with a fine pad or filter floss

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So even though it's a small tank, if the tank was properly cycled you reckon it would not handle the ammonia of 10 fish...?

Problem is even with 5 labs in at the start before adding the other 5 I was showing ammonia 6 or so weeks in

· Administrator
40,904 Posts
OK you have almost 6X GPH which is adequate and more/better/different will not solve your ammonia problem. Worth a try. Do not remove anything from your tank at all until the ammonia is zero. Not for Purigen, not for anything. Don't scrape the glass, don't remove or wash a rock. BTW the rocks should be on the glass and the substrate over the top, so you should not any substrate underneath to vacuum.

I would start counting from the 2 weeks ago when you removed the sponge and count six weeks from that day and then see if the bacteria have been able to regrow.

A "regular" cycle can take 2 months, so where you are at 3 months, considering that you removed media, is not terribly out of line.

· Administrator
40,904 Posts
Before the sponge was removed, you were still not too far away from the 2 month expected period for a cycle. All these time estimates are averages, half the time it takes longer.

Keep using the dechlorinator. Don't remove anything. What is your nitrate?

You want to change 50% whenever it gets up to 20ppm. With the large number of fish you may need to do it more than 1X weekly.

· Registered
53 Posts
What kind of fish are these? 10 fish is a bit much for a 60 gallon if they're going to grow to 6" each.

Have you actually tested your tap water?

My only suggestion is to get bio-rings in your filter rather than those black plastic bio balls. You can also try that ammonia absorbing foam sponges, no clue if they work, or something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Ammonia-R ... B0002AQKK2

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.