Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly does ‘Ammonia Remover’ do? Does is simply remove the ammonia or does it convert it into another chemical. The reason I’m asking is I’m expecting a mini-cycle when I get my shipment of fish tomorrow I’m expecting my filters won’t be able to handle the heightened fish load… I would need to use the ‘ammonia remover’ for about a week in mid-august.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It absorbs the Ammonia until it is saturated at which time you can throw it away or in some cases salt water will release the Ammonia and you can reuse it. You don't want to use loads of it, you need an Ammonia rise to increase to cope with the fish load long term. You might want to consider reducing feeding instead of using the Ammonia.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
It depends on what ammonia remover you are using. A granular ammonia remover is made up of the mineral Zeolite. It attracts ammonia to it's surface. When you remove the zeolite you export it from the system.
Liquid ammonia removers are generally sulfite salts that bind to the ammonia and chelate it. The ammonia is still in the system but it's bound chemically to a larger molecule that prevents it from harming the fish. Eventually this bound ammonia will be diluted with water changes or metabolized by your bacteria. The advantage to the liquid is that it works very quickly to neutralize ammonia. The zeolite works better for longer term use. However if you are having problems with ammonia for longer periods of time there is something seriously wrong with your biological filtration.
Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts