Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank has been running fine for 2 months now and i havnt had any problems but i checked my PPM tonight after a 25% wc and my PH is 7.4 and my nitrites and nitrates are both 0 but my ammonia is at 2.0 but this is the first problem i have had with what should i do to get it back down to 0?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
How did you cycle the tank when you first started?
Your nitrates should be above 0. Are you using test strips or a liquid test kit?
Which dechlorinator are you using? If there's chloramine in your tap water it will sometimes show as a false positive for ammonia after a large water change (larger than your 25% and not usually as much as 2ppm).
Perform another water change to lower ammonia readings, try to get under 1ppm.
Tank may be still cycling or going through a mini cycle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did a fishless cycle that lasted about 5 weeks i added ammonia till it read about 3 PPM and then waited for the cycle to take hold and once everything hit 0 i slowly added the fish and i use the API liquid kit! so should i do another 25% WC?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Aqueon says it will detoxify ammonia.
What size tank and filters and what are the tanks inhabitants? Have you cleaned any filters recently? Any other water additives?
How often do you feed? Possible that you're overfeeding?
Rule out anything dead decomposing in the tank.
Still wondering about the 0 nitrate reading, you should be getting something.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
55G i have 6 yellow labs 2 Acei and 10 Demasoni i have a Aqueon 60 Filter and i have rinsed one filter out with tank water and replaced the other!... i feed once a day in the morning and i make sure not to pour to much to fast...nothing deed in the tank and plants are fake! and my nitrates are ready a dark yellow i wanna say in between 0-5 so idk thats compared to the chart!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
It's possible that by rinsing and replacing a filter, you've lost some of your bacteria.
Keep an eye on ammonia and nitrites over the next couple of weeks and try to keep each under 1ppm by performing water changes (with dechlor) when needed.
Try to leave the filter as is for the next 6-8 weeks.
You might want to consider adding a canister filter.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
jeremypb said:
i did a fishless cycle that lasted about 5 weeks i added ammonia till it read about 3 PPM and then waited for the cycle to take hold and once everything hit 0 i slowly added the fish and i use the API liquid kit! so should i do another 25% WC?
Did you continue to add more ammonia when it reached 0, or just the initial dose?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
After 5 weeks from initial dose, the ammonia converters would have shrunk back. They need to build again. In the meantime, water changes, very light feeding every 3 days or so, and a detox product like Prime or Ammolock. Ammolock is my preference.

The method you used is a form of one recommended by Dr Tim, but the part you left out was adding another dose of ammonia once nitrite went to 0 to build the ammonia converters back up. I've not tried his method, but should work fine and you can find it here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts