Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is what I am running with for the last 6 months in a 75 gallon with two marineland emperors (400 gph)

3 Flametails
3 yellow blaze
5 yellow labs
5 OB
4 Rubescens
2 Syndos

On Saturday I did my regular 20% weekly water change and decides to clean up one of the filter housings and replaced a filter pad and carbon. Overall did a good cleanup of the tank due to a high phosphate level. On monday I realized one of my Rubescens/blaze (no color and hard to differentiate) had some red, inflamed gills and I didn't see her eating. I believe this was one of my mouth brooders. After 30 minutes of trying to net the fish I decided to run to the store instead of stressing out my fish... My first thought was gill flukes so I dosed with API General Cure and 12 tablespoons of salt (pulling out the carbon first). I had just pulled a cup of water to test my water before my fish illness panic set in and went to test it. Ammonia was non-zero (roughly .25-.5), nitrites were 0, nitrates were 5 and pH typically around 8.1.

This morning I noticed another blaze/rubescens starting to have red puffed gills and ammonia was much closer to 0. Can ammonia poisoning set in after 24 hours? Do I continue with the gill flukes treatment? How the heck do you all catch cichlids in a heavily rocky and cave filled tank?

Thanks in advance, glad to join the community?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Can't comment on Gill Flukes, but, ammonia poisoning can set in fairly quickly and swollen red gills are a symptom. As far as catching all the fish in the tank, I resort to removing all rock and other decor.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I have never known anyone who had gill flukes...if all fish have been in the tank 6 months this is unlikely?

Ammonia poisoning should not be lethal at 0.5 for 24 hours so I would look for other causes. Maybe the ammonia was higher before the water change?

Nitrates of 5 is very low for an established tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here she is. Sorry for the grainy picture.

I do have an ammonia alert that I havn't seen with anything but yellow. Its at zero again now but I think the filter cleaning shocked the system.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
Cleaning only one of the filters should not have impacted the tank or caused any issues with the fish or the cycle at least in my experience on a mature tank setup.

What if any water conditioner are you using to treat any new water? Is it possible you forgot to add any or maybe under or overdosed the water conditioner?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If anyone is interested... It was a beginners mistake. Females were brooding and just stressed. As soon as I moved her, she spat and has looked much better since.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Something you may not have considered. Peacocks, so when mixing genders you don't want more than one peacock species/tank.

In a 75G shoot for 4 species with 1m:4f of each.

It is also hard (impossible?) to ID the separate species of peacock females once mixed, so rehoming or selling becomes a problem as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts