Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need some info an some help. I have 75 gal ca tank. I have a triplets of jacks a jewel a firemouth, red devil an some barbs. The firemouth is the suck one an I am starting fo think it's ammonia poisoning cause he doesn't eat as much an he has all the systoms. The jacks are prolly far behind. So my question is. Change the water or put in some kind of chemical.
Thanks you guys. [/url]

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I would test the water and see what is going on to start with. That will tell you if there is any ammonia or nitrite present (which there shouldnt be). Did you cycle the tank prior to adding these fish?

I dont know much about CA cichlids so will let others chime in on the stocking levels of this tank.

You would be better off to do a 30% water change with a good dechlorinator since it wont hurt to extra WC's anyhow. If you dont have a test kit Id go get one of API Master Test Kits. They arent that much and are a necessity in this hobby. At the very least get some of the strip tests to find out what is going on.

·
Registered
554 Posts
+1 on the water change, and pronto

·
Registered
656 Posts
First thing is to do a water change, but could you tell us more about how long the tank has been set up, how big are the fish, are you testing the water weekly?, water changes weekly? what and how often are you feeding?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the tank has been up an running for about 3 months. it has cycled prolly twice, cause at first i did some tetra's about 6 in there first then it cycled an cleared up an ammonia dropped an it was okay so i got some central american's ciclids. got 3 jacks, 1 firemouth, 2 golden severums, 1 jewel, an like 6 tin foil barb's.
well sad to say it was overstocked an i am guess that was the reasone for the spike in ammonia levels after i added all these guys in there after the tetra's had came out.

the filter is a pen plax cascade 1200 an i am planning on getting a HOB here soon

i did the water change this evening got the ammonia levels down to .25 this evening. will check it again in the morning. if its up in the morning do i do a 30% change ?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Do enough water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite under 1ppm, if possible. Also use a detox product like Prime or Ammolock. Feed lightly every 3 days, no more, until ammonia and nitrite are 0.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks tim this is something that i am doing already except the ammolock. we had some but we used it all already an having to get some more soon.
i started with 6 barbs now i am down to 4 of them an they are in the hospital tank. the firemouth a golden severum they are lookin sluggish especially my severum but i hope they make it cause i love my severum he has a twin that would love to see grow up together.

i will keep you guys updated an i will post pics up soon.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tihink i am gonna have to get some detox now, i have done a 30% water change yesterday an my ammonia is down to .25 now or was it .5. can't remeber i have the 2 part drop kit for ammonia. it was yellow when i tested it. so i am gonna get some ammolock today after work so i hope things get better. by boi's are hangin in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts