Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fihless cycling. Ammonia has been down to 1-2ppm for 2 weeks now and still no sign of nitrites. Actually down to 1ppm for 1 week and still no sign of nitrites. Should i just wait it out.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have heard of people being stuck on this stage for 3-4 weeks. Just wait it out. Did you not test a couple of days? Do you have proper filtration? Is there enough water movement? It will come in no time. Patience is a virtue.

·
Registered
584 Posts
How about temperature? It's always a good idea to give a more detailed original post, even if you think information is irrelevant.

Anyway, I've heard of people not plugging in their heaters during the cycle, to save electricity I suppose, but like your fish, the bacteria will grow faster and be healthier at a higher temperature. Below a certain temperature they won't grow at all. In fact, I have found that fishless cycling is accelerated by keeping the tank around 85F, then lowering the temp to the temp you'll have your fish at (76-78F most likely), while the cycle finishes up. Don't forget, once your rid of ammonia you still need to keep adding it! It's food for the bacteria, every living thing must eat!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.