Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been keeping african cichlids for a while now and over the last few days, I've had an Ammonia spike which I can't bring down. I've emptied tank of all rocks to check for dead fish...none...I've stopped feeding them, no difference. I've done 50% water changes still as high day after. I've even checked the water in my tap it's 0. I've put prime in to protect the fish and started using seachem stability as though I'm cycling a new tank. I have been running this tank and fx6 filter for 6 mnths, no new fish have been added either. I'd be grateful for any ideas.

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
How high is it, will you give the actual number?

If it is over 1ppm then do your 50% water changes every day and after the first couple daily changes, start increasing the volume of the change daily until you can get it under 1ppm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
8.0ppm is the reading, consistently. I'm doing 50% water changes daily. I've bought a UV filter in hope it may help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No matter how much if a water change I do it's still 8.0ppm, when I check water an hour later. I've put prime in to help protect the fish. I've check water test kit on my other tank, I can't understand it, I've never had this problem before

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
The ammonia would not rise that fast just from a non-cycled tank. Since you are removing half the ammonia when you change half the water, it's hard to understand how the result could still be 8ppm unless it was actually 16ppm before the change. And then, daily 75% changes would eventually bring it down under the max capability of the test to read.

I had an issue once...did you add anything other than fish to the tank? I put strips of black foam across the top of an in-tank background to keep fish from swimming over once. I thought it was not going to be a problem since it was above the water line. But my ammonia went crazy, I guess there was enough splashing and also the foam was leaching ammonia into the tank. Any foreign objects added recently?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No dead fish, I emptied the tank to check and checked inside all the rocks too. I can't think of anything added recently that is new to the tank, I've always swapped rocks etc between my two tanks which are both cycled and never had a problem before. I'm gonna treat it as though it's gone back into cycle, with prime and stability see how that goes because water changes aren't working

·
Registered
449 Posts
Dianeakala said:
No dead fish, I emptied the tank to check and checked inside all the rocks too. I can't think of anything added recently that is new to the tank, I've always swapped rocks etc between my two tanks which are both cycled and never had a problem before. I'm gonna treat it as though it's gone back into cycle, with prime and stability see how that goes because water changes aren't working
How old are the chemicals in your test kit? With ammonia levels reading that high continuously, there should be fish dying if the results are accurate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've used 2 API test kits, one is a new.ine I bought just to make sure the old test kit was right. The readings are continuously high on both. The reason I am not losing g fish is because I am dosing the tank everyday with seachem prime which is protecting my fish from harm. I am also treating with seachem stability to aid the good bacteria.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update...I emailed seachem they say keep dosing with stability and prime every other day. Fish are fine active and doing what African cichlids are doing. According to seachem the prime has bound both the bad ammonia and good ammonia together and turned it into good ammonia that's why the fish are ok. Ammonia still around 8ppm nitrates ok so are nitrite. Will have to ride it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a thought, have you checked the quality of the water before you put it in the tank? I see your post is a couple of weeks ago, hopefully things have calmed down?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.