Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tested my ammonia yesterday for the first time in several weeks and was shocked to find out I actually had ammonia in my water (about .75). This was surprising to me as I do regular water changes (60% every two weeks), I have ample filtration (fluval FX5 and Fluval 4 internal filter) and my fish seem to be thriving.

Upon further research, I discovered that my tap water actually has about .50 ammonia in it. This must be a fairly new development since I know I have tested my tap in the past and it did not have ammonia.

Is this cause for alarm? I treat my water with Prime before I add it to my tank, and I believe Prime detoxifies ammonia. Will my biological filter then remove the ammonia?

220 Gallon aquarium .75 ammonia; 10ppm nitrate; 0 nitrite

Tank Dwellers
Green Severum
Firemouth Cichlid
Keyhole Cichlid
Convict Cichlid
1 Bala Shark
6 Clown Loaches
1 Pleco
2 Corys
5 Giant Danios
4 Austrailian Rainbowfish

·
Registered
292 Posts
its prolly chlromines in your tap water...
this is usually added to tap water by the city.
Chlorimines will give a false positive ammo test.

It take a double dose of Prime to get rid of the chlorimines.

I wouldn't worry too much about it...
Did you just do a water change?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I did a large 60% water change about 5 days ago. I checked my water parameters yesterday and that is when I noticed the ammonia. I did a 15 - 20% water change last night in hopes to start lowering my ammonia.

I then realized that my tap water had ammonia in it as well. If I double dose the prime should it still show false ammonia readings?

·
Registered
292 Posts
personnally with such a low reading, I'd leave it alone for a week or so and test the water...

your bio colony will process the ammo.

If your ammo stays high, I'd start looking at building up my bio culture. You have a big tank...I think I remember you saying you have an FX5? What media and how much is in it? Any other filters with bio media?

·
Registered
292 Posts
personnally with such a low reading, I'd leave it alone for a week or so and test the water...

If your ammo stays high, I'd start looking at building up my bio culture. You have a big tank...I think I remember you saying you have an FX5? What media and how much is in it? Any other filters with bio media?

·
Registered
292 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, my FX5 has one chamber packed with bio-max. The other two chambers are mechanical and chemical (packed one chamber with carbon).

My wife decided to surprise me by cleaning my filter (a job I always fuss about) and she rinsed the bio max rings with tap water. That may have wiped out some of my bacteria and be part of the problem.

I also run a fluval 4 internal filter but it is only mechanical filtration.

·
Registered
292 Posts
tap water + bio media = new cycle...

watch the ammo reading very closely... do water changes as needed to keep ammo down.

Good luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I'm hoping the bacteria in my gravel will prevent the disruption of the culture growing on my bio rings from being a major issue.

Cheers

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I'm hoping the bacteria in my gravel will prevent the disruption of the culture growing on my bio rings from being a major issue.

Cheers

·
Registered
292 Posts
wec ould have saved ourselves alot of time if the title of this thread was...

my wife tried to help but.... :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts