Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have just about completed setup of 220gal tank. Currently I have a 75 with and eheim 2229 running about 5litres of substrat pro. I use a magnum 350 for mechanical. This has been adequate for the last two years with a bio load of 1 10" oscar, breeding pair of dempseys, 2 Chocolate chiclids, 2 parrot things, and one gold flake synodontis. I do about a 40% waterchange every two weeks, about ten% detritus pickup in between. I have lost one oscar to hole in the head, and other fish periodically. I know all along I should have been checking water quality, but the filter being established for two years caused my complacency.

The reason I bring this up is I just got ammonia and nitrite test kits as I will be moving fish into a 220gal. I tested the tap water to find close to 2ppm ammonia! Some recent research online has suggested to me the water company may be treating with choramine.
How do I get rid of it? Is this why I could do a 40% water change and upset the cycle of my tank and have losses? Or have the water smell like urine?

I have not found concrete answers online. Some suggest that chloramine will not leave the water naturally. That a chorine treatment must be given and then deal with the leftover ammonia. What complicates these findings is the "free amonia" vs "locked ammonia" terminology. Help! Chemist!

My 220 gallon has a eheim 2262 running almost 12liters of substrat pro and an fx5 for mechanical. I am trying to decide on fishless cycle for this tank or introducing the media from my 75 gallon in the fx5 and xfering the inhabitants right away. This find has caused me to stop and do some more reasearch.

Do I have to treat my water with chlorine removers and then have a sepparate bio filter to remove the ammonia? Is that ammonia a bio load in itself? Or is it trapped, or free or ????

I know this was a long post I appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Hummm! Is it possible that you are one of those old guys who never treated water until one day he found chloramnie doesn't disipate out of water like chlorine? I was one of those when I came back to the hobby. A real shock to think I had to treat the water. But then that is where we are now. Prime is the product of choice for me. It does the job on chlorine or chloramine. As for the filter, your Ehiem will be doing the bio job for sure but most likely you already have all the good bacteria builtup in and on most all things in the tank. Fish can get used to a low level of ammonia but it is not good for them to have to do it. Some good reading here might help out:

http://www.freshwater-aquarium-fish.com ... mistry.htm

·
Registered
234 Posts
Expert here on this chloramine stuff showing up one day. :x like pfunmo said use prime or safe. it will nutrilize the ammonia into a harmless substance your filter will take care of. y'all probably have had a lot of rain and the water company dumped massive amounts of ammonia for a disinfectantn to the water supply.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Since the thinking is that chlorine was reacting with the organics and creating some of those nasty carcinogen things, I guess I will go with the treating fish water rather than treating my own bod for cancer. My wife has had two rounds and I have had one so I can vouch for that not being any fun!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.