Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just realized that i have 2ppm of ammonia in my tap water... i drink out of a purifier, but do water changes with this tap water

the tap water has parameters of 2/0/5... my fish tank is 0/0/20

what is the best water conditioner that i can use to kill ammonia, chlorine/chloramine, heavy metals, etc

i have been using stress coat +, but i have noticed that my fish do a lot of flashing afterwards - im pretty sure the aloe irritates them a little

i'm thinking prime or amquel+

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I often work with the theory that less is better unless there is a real need for doing more. Medicine and water treatments are times when I go that way. I find that Prime does all the things I need done to my water without getting into more things that may/may not be needed. When deciding which treatment to use, I tried several different ones and looked at the amount of each needed vs. price as well as the ease of buying and using each. Seems Prime works best for me and the price difference is less than a penny per treatment so I wound up going with the ease of use. I noticed my fish did a certain amount of flashing after water changes but do it less now that I pre-warm the water in a reserve tank before adding it to the tanks. Water temperature differences did not make them sick but they seemed bothered in some way.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Prime or Ammolock will do just fine. I prefer Ammolock because it does just what I need it to without inducing my fish to build up their slime coat by adding some irritant, as Prime does.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I'm glad you brought that question up. It prompted me to go do some reading on products I had not looked at in a long time. I find it easy to fall into a patternt of using some things and forget why exactly I was using the product. I went over and read the API site and looked over several of the products. They kind of have a chemical cure for all that might ail us listed. I got out the Prime bottle and read what it says it does. It had been a long time since I actually read the bottle! I had forgotten there was a mention of slime coat. I think Tim is correct in thinking we don't need to add anything to help a fish have a slime coat. I probably won't change my use of Prime as it seems to work very well but it was interesting to have it pointed out to me. Never know for sure when we might learn something interesting. Thanks for that, Tim.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
vinnyxgunz said:
With all these products does the water have to sit before pitting into the tank?
No, the process of dealing with the chlorine/chloramine works pretty instantly. Leaving it sit, doesn't help any.

I went over and read the API site and looked over several of the products. They kind of have a chemical cure for all that might ail us listed.
They do. You really have to watch all of these vendors and read the label and ask questions. There's a lot of snake oil out there. And by that I mean products that aren't needed or have 'extras' added just so the marketing people can add claims to the labels to differentiate it from all of the other dechlorinators out there. The products that are truly helpful/needed are very few.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Vinny - same area here; similar levels of Ammonia which presumably is Chloramine.
I also used to use Stress Coat+ and cycled using it with success. I recently had an annoying level of 0.25 ammonia that wouldn't go away so I switched over to prime as it is would seem to be better at removing chloramine. The ammonia comes and goes (still not sure why). I prefer the prime though - I use less so it actually works out cheaper. Plus I 'feel' as though it is doing the tank chemistry come good. Prime does stink though!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The thing about prime is per dose it only changes .6ppm of ammonia. I have about 2ppm in my tap water so I think ammo-lock might be better since it goes up to 3ppm per dose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.