Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bad experience with an online vendor who had a really good reputation in the Cichlid community. I had four peacocks in my 75gal tank and ordered more from this vendor. During the time the ammonia suddenly rose to 1.0PPM so I tried for four days to contact this vendor to cancel my order of 4 more peacocks. I finally got an email stating he was sorry for the delay but he had cancelled the order. Luckily I was home two days later as the fish arrived on the doorstep anyway and I had no back up tank to put them in. Then I just measured the level and it is 2.0PPM. The fish are acting fine but I am so concerned of internal damage from the ammonia. I have done one 25% water change and added more Dr Tims on advice from my local aquarium store that sells cichlids. They assured me the ammonia will start to drop but how long can I keep the fish at this level. The vendor is very apologetic and I don't want to trash someone's reputation but I am upset.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Why not change more water and keep the ammonia below 1ppm?

Also if you use a dechlorinator like Prime it will "handle" the ammonia. Once you get to nitrite you are likely to have problems that Prime cannot handle, but daily large water changes should be able to keep the toxins low enough to make it through.

It's always a good idea to pick up shipped fish directly from the airport.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will I lose all the nitrifying bacteria I added doing large water changes and will it ever have a chance to colonize in the bio filter and thus the aquarium be cycled?

·
Registered
45 Posts
No the bacteria do the work from surface area not the water column. Yes doing water changes will slow the process because your limiting their over abundance of food but at this point I would care more about the fish in the tank than the time. I wouldn't do big changes just frequent small ones basically we are just trying to cut the problem to that max livable condition until everything catches up. Don't clean your glass for the duration may as we'll leave those bacteria there to help things along. In my experience it doesn't take but a few days to catch up it's not asking it to completely cycle just make up for the extra load.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would add that two weeks ago I added 12 fish to a 40 and did nothing but add prime for a week. Put in 20 Trophs two months ago to a system and same thing dose prime a week and move on.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Panthera said:
Will I lose all the nitrifying bacteria I added doing large water changes and will it ever have a chance to colonize in the bio filter and thus the aquarium be cycled?
Absolutely not, unless you're letting your filter media dry out. As long as your filter stays full of water, and you're completing the water change and can turn back on your filter within 3-4 hours, then the nitrifying bacteria will be fine. My Discus suppliers never cycle new tanks, just do daily [at least 50%] water changes and the tank becomes cycled after 4-5 weeks. This is also what I do when I start a new tank.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Halfcopy said:
No the bacteria do the work from surface area not the water column. Don't clean your glass for the duration may as we'll leave those bacteria there to help things along. In my experience it doesn't take but a few days to catch up it's not asking it to completely cycle just make up for the extra load.
This is good advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts