Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a 10g with Guppies 4F 1M, I wana use them as feeders for my Cichlids.

Tank #2 is 30g, packed with
2 Corydoras Catfish 1.25 inch each
2 Flowerhorn Cichlids 2. inch each
3 Red Devil Cichlid 2.5 inch each
3 Green Terror 2.5 inch each

I hope I will be able to get a bigger tank in the future but as of now my wife won’t allow a bigger tank, Said so I hope all fish will survive till my wife will give in for a bigger tank.

When I do get an OK for a bigger tank, what size should it be if I have no plans for breeding and what size should it be if I do want breeding?

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Welcome to CF. Unfortunately I have bad news for you, because I think your best option would be to look for new homes for your cichlids, or maybe return them to the store. If a store sold you these fish knowing that you only had a 30G available, they should definitely take them back. If and when your wife gives permission for a bigger tank, you can take your time to set it up and then pick up some new cichlids. In the meantime, there are lots of very interesting cichlids that you can keep in a 30G, but not the ones you have. The 20G and 29G cookie cutters might give you some good ideas about stocking options.

To keep all the cichlids you have together in one setup, you need a tank the size of a swimming pool. For example, you might be able to keep a single red devil in a 75G as long as you don't ad other fish. For breeding you need at least a 125G for just a male and a female red devil, no other fish. Even then people usually use a divider to prevent the male from beating up the female. The divider is only taken out for a short period when the pair is in breeding mood to allow them to spawn. The only time I have seen more than two adult red devils together in one setup was in a DIY built 1500G tank.

Regarding the breeding, with rare exceptions, a male and a female cichlid of the same species kept in the same tank under good conditions will breed. They really don't care if you want them to breed or not. That's why you always have to take their breeding behavior into account, and give them the space they would need at that stage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think he said he had no plans for breeding the cichlids.

But yeah, keeping those aggressive cichlids together would require a really, really big tank. It would not be recommended.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Generally, when you say your tank is "packed with" - that's a bad start already, because generally, less is more in terms of the happiness of the fish. this is because (exceptions for malawi) generally cichlids from SA/CA need lots of space.

Also, RDs and FHs are SERIOUSLY aggressive and I'd give nothing less than a 90 gallon for just ONE of them when they grow up, so I'd certainly follow fmueller's advice here

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
crazy8jack said:
I think he said he had no plans for breeding the cichlids.
Generally cichlids don't care if you have plans to breed them. I don't know about your fish, but if I don't want mine to breed, that means they are going to breed for sure :lol:

Kidding aside, Flowerhorns are Red Devil hybrids, which means they are closely related and will readily interbreed. With 3 Red Devils and 2 Flowerhorns, you have 5 fish that can breed with each other, and the chances of having at least one male and one female in a group of five fish that are too small to be sexed are very high (about 92%, if I am not mistaken). I don't think there is any way of stopping them from breeding - or at least showing the extra aggressiveness they have in breeding mood, until they have killed each other.

Trust me, even in a tank several times the size of a 30G, that stocking list is a no-win situation. Whoever sold those fish to bpfishman has to be completely clueless or totally irresponsible.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Then you need to return all those fish and get only a few that will stay small, start with a few fish and keep things easy for yourself.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
bpfishman said:
:( since i live in NYC i will have to start paying $4000 montly rent in order to bring home a 250g tank :x
No doubt about it, and 250G is still not anywhere near large enough to keep the fish you currently have. I suggest you follow bpman25's advice.

Again, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It's no fun for me either to have to tell people that the fish they just bought are totally unsuitable for their tank. In an ideal world, folks would ask before they buy the fish.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You could keep the cories and add something like a keyhole, they are very nice and peaceful. The bigger issue here is the place that sold you these fish, in my opinion any good fish place is going to ask about tank size and filtration especially when selling predatory fish that will reach a foot or more in size. I understand the draw for a lot of new fish keepers to keep very aggresive fish, but if you start small while you are learning then there is a good chance all your fish will be happy and you won't be trying to sell your tank on Craigslist in 4 months when there are no fish left in your tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts