Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have had this 55 gal for about 3 weeks with some fish in it but recently moved to another tank to change gravel to sand. the tank is still without fish and i recently bought 40 pounds of african cichlid eco complete sand as a substrate, with 20 pound crushed coral and some quikrete medium grade sand to fill it up some more. my water test have out to be 0 ammonia, 20 nitrate, and about 1 nitrite. am i ready to add a couple of 7inch frontosas into this tank?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
You want to put some 7" fronts in a 55 gallon tank? Uh, no. You'll be ready when you have your 125 gallon tank cycled. :thumb: Your tank may be ready for other fish, assuming your filter media is from a well-established tank.

It also sounds like your substrate might be too thick (which can cause problems)... You should be looking at less than 2" deep to allow proper gas exchange.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Please do not put a frontosa in a 55 gallon tank :(

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
No one has even commented on the reading of 1ppm for nitrite. You're not ready for any fish; the tank isn't cycled.
:eek: Ooops- missed that!

Nitrite and ammonia should be at zero before adding any fish. Since there are no fish in this tank right now, add a tablespoon of household ammonia (no scents or surfactants, just plain ammonia) to keep the cycling process going.

Altolamps are a great choice for a 55g... and they are good neighbors to other fish you might choose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the info guys. nah im not shot down, just a simple question that just needed some clarification. but yeah the calvus,comp set i think is where ill be headed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts