1 eureka Jake
4 ngara flametail
3 yellow labs
5 benga

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should probably add my filtration is a hob and a sponge filter. I do 20% and 50% water changes once a week. Got about 50lbs of lace rock and crushed coral substrate.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Uh, yes. And that stocking list is just asking for problems. Your peacocks will hybridize like crazy, and the females will cause the males to go aggro on one another... And ideally you want a larger tank for peacocks, anyway. The RTS gets big, as does a common pleco, and tropheus don't belong in a Malawi-based tank, especially just 2 of them. The acei will get too large for this tank, as well.

Your best bet is to stick to small (5-6" max) peacocks, get 1m of each type, make sure they don't look too much alike, and bump your YL to 6-7. Get rid of everything else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Added a eureka red to the list. Thinking I'll just let nature take it's course to thin out the numbers. Or might sell some fish to my lfs for some lava rock. Forgot to mention they're all juvies. With the biggest being 3". Thinking maybe adding more rock will help out. My lace rock only goes to half the tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
Rleepremier said:
Added a eureka red to the list. Thinking I'll just let nature take it's course to thin out the numbers.
:eek: One problem with this approach is that if one fish comes under attack it can sicken and infect/wipe out your whole tank.

Rleepremier said:
Or might sell some fish to my lfs for some lava rock. Forgot to mention they're all juvies. With the biggest being 3".
Good idea to sell some fish. Since fish can spawn at 1.5" or 2" I'd say they are young adults.

Rleepremier said:
Thinking maybe adding more rock will help out. My lace rock only goes to half the tank.
Once you fill the tank half full, additional rock will probably not make a significant improvement in managing aggression.

You got some good advice, it bears repeating. This would make a nice tank for one species like the labs or the benga or the ruby red or maybe even the ngara flametail.

If you want more variety, try the labs with one male each of the red, flametail and benga.

Acei are better in a 48" tank and mbuna don't pair so I'd lose those. I'd lose the eureka and sunshine as the hybrid peacocks can be more aggressive and need a larger tank. And the tropheus are better in a large group.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I dont get it how people overstocked their tanks without any problem? I was at a guys house and he had a 72 bf with 50+ mbuna and parrot. Tons of lava rock and he says they've been in there for over 3 years with no problem. I do a 20% and 50% water changes weekly. And I'll be picking up my canister filter tonight.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It works, sometimes. Just depends on what is in there; and your luck. If they are all mbuna, it's more likely to work than mixing mbuna, peacocks, haps, and trophs. IME the only way to control my mbuna tank is to overstock. In your case, you have 5 mbuna and 20~ peacocks. I like to break the rules, but even I don't keep mbuna and peacocks in the same tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
Rleepremier said:
What I dont get it how people overstocked their tanks without any problem?
Try it then. :thumb: It does work for some and I don't get it either. But you asked so we answered. :lol:

·
Registered
129 Posts
One problem with this approach is that if one fish comes under attack it can sicken and infect/wipe out your whole tank.

very good advice !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Correction now 1 Duboise. Guess they didn't like him. And his partner looks to be on her way out also. Guess it's time to shift rock work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts