Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
The open top stand is pretty normal. I don't have a fishroom so my tanks are scattered around my house. I use old pieces of furniture or cabinets that I reinforce heavily to handle the weight adequately. I have figured out how to do this without looking crude.

For the deck I make a heavy wooden frame that sits on the desk, dressing table, or whatever top. This spreads the weight evenly over the furniture. I use plywood on the top of this frame. But a flat panel such as this presents a problem not found in an open top stand in that something between the tank and panel could stress the bottom glass. Since most tanks are designed so the triim holds the bottom glass off of the stand this shouldn't be a problem. (note: so most all tanks rest only on the trim anyway; not the bottom glass) But I still use a piece of styrafoam sheeting under my tanks. It's probably a placebo -makes me feel better. :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.