Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home from picking up my new (to me) 75g and stand along with some other stuff. The stand top is just the perimeter (if that makes sense) and not a complete table top surface. Is that ok? It is exactly the same dimensions of the tank and the woodgrain matches and everything but just not sure if that little surface all the way around the edge of the tank is sufficient or if I should put a piece of something to cover the entire top?

Thanks for the help, and I would like to set this up soon so any help soon would be greatly appreciated as I am waiting till I know this ok before setting it up. :-?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya this is a pre-made or store boughten one. It seems sturdy but where yours would have the 2 inch face of the 2x4 mine is about half that thick. Which is why it worries me.

So this wont slide or shift off that spot once its full? I would imagine that a 75 full of water and stuff would have enough pressure downward to keep it from moving.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Maybe you could post a pic to be sure, but it's probably not missing a piece. I have seen the stands made by all glass aquarium co. and I know they just have the perimeter, not a top like a table

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I found what looks to be the exact same one, its made by aqueon. That one is also just the perimeter. Just seen it and was worried it wasnt enough surface area to hold it on there, but I guess that is how they are suppose to be.

http://www.petsr4u.com/aqueon-cabinet-a ... -black.asp

Just like this except the 48" model in Oak colored woodgrain.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Another point that might make you feel better is looking at the bottom rim of the tank. There is a good chance that the tank only rests on the bottom of what we call the trim. The actual tank glass often does not come down to the bottom. Having a full top on the stand gets you no big gain as the tank will still be just resting on the perimeter of the tank. It will be heavy enough to never, ever, ever slide once filled. WARNING: Get it straight before filling with water because you will not be able to slide it over even a 1/4 inch.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The open top stand is pretty normal. I don't have a fishroom so my tanks are scattered around my house. I use old pieces of furniture or cabinets that I reinforce heavily to handle the weight adequately. I have figured out how to do this without looking crude.

For the deck I make a heavy wooden frame that sits on the desk, dressing table, or whatever top. This spreads the weight evenly over the furniture. I use plywood on the top of this frame. But a flat panel such as this presents a problem not found in an open top stand in that something between the tank and panel could stress the bottom glass. Since most tanks are designed so the triim holds the bottom glass off of the stand this shouldn't be a problem. (note: so most all tanks rest only on the trim anyway; not the bottom glass) But I still use a piece of styrafoam sheeting under my tanks. It's probably a placebo -makes me feel better. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts