Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I have a 90 gallon mbuna tank currently housing
5 yellow tail acei
5 pseudotropheus flavus
4 yellow labs and
8 demasoni
All 1 male to the rest females I'm not worried about crosbreeding but I was considering adding some red zebra's to the community my worries are over stocking though I should say I have more than adequate filtration and aggression so if any can offer some advice also about red zeb's in general I have head the males can be less in red coloration than the females so any help much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Four species is good for a 90G...I'd go up to a 72" tank for five species. It's more of a territory concern than a filtration concern. I would double the demasoni though.

Yes, the adult males are most often a peach color as opposed to the red-orange of the females.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply ransome,I'm still deciding what I should do with this set up I was already thinking of increasing the demasoni numbers and the yellows though in almost a year now with this set up and numbers I've had no problems at all with aggression and all fish are breeding, I'm really after the colour that the red zebs would bring even if I didn't have a male just females you think I would need a bigger tank or cut out one of the other species?

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
I would swap out the flavus, but I'm sure someone on the planet has success in a 48" tank with 5 species.

I also know a lot of experienced fishkeepers prefer 3 species in a 48 x 18 footprint like you have.

Four is just right for me in my 48 x 18 and five was just right when I had mbuna in my 72" x 18" tank.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was already considering of getting rid of the flavus males are nice looking fish but the females are pretty drab, red zebs aren't anymore aggressive than flavus are they?

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
I have not kept flavus, but from my reading no, not more aggressive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts