Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering Petrotilapia microgalana Nkhata Bay ''Small Blue''.

My Tropheops elongatus boadzulu are pretty much a failed group and so thinking of picking up these to replace them and add some more diversity in color/size.

Probably get several to start out with but weed them down to a trio or quad.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I take it not many have experience with this fish? Cool. I'll be the guinea pig. Probably place my order in the next day or so. If it works it works. If not, well that's what the tank in the garage is for :D

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I seem to remember hearing they're pretty rough'n'tumble, but so are most of your fish in that tank at the moment. Try it and let us know how it goes. You selling the Tropheops?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figure I'll let the tropheops fend for themselves for a while and see how it goes. They are such a cool looking fish but I don't have too much hope for them since I've already lost 4 out of 7.

The guy I am ordering from says I could restart the tropheops group and go with 6 species total but I'm thinking that may be pushing it.

He did mention the Petrotilapia is aggressive but would be fine in my group.

Yeah my group is on the aggressive side. Even the females are getting into fights :popcorn: Nothing serious though and they have rather short attention spans since there's always another fish butting in.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Out of curiosity, what's wrong with your Tropheops elongatus group? I have about a dozen growing out right now; the biggest are about 2.5". They're in a 4' long 50 gal with an adult peacock breedign group and get along fine for now. Do they get to be rotten mean?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My group just started dying off and I'm left right now with either 2m:1f or 3m (hard to tell if this is dark one is really a sub dom male).

I'm not 100% sure of the reason the others died but from talking with people the general consensus seems to be aggression.

I lost 1 randomly about a month after purchasing them. It just showed up dead at feeding time and was already picked over by the other tank mates so hard to tell any cause of death.

I then lost 2 within 48 hours after changing from a 60g to a 100g (water was fine). At the same time I also had a bacteria outbreak on a few other fish. This was a month ago.

So a possible scenario was the aggression within the tank got a bit high and stressed them out as all the fish re-established territories and dominance. I ended up losing one other Tropheops to the bacteria infection as well as one of my Cyn. Lions.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh but to answer your question about aggression in general. In my tank the tropheops don't stand out as super aggressive. But it is all relative.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks for the info. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Sometimes I tell myself that there's certain fish that aren't meant for me to keep right now. Bad luck or some foreign forces at play.. not sure. You just gotta write it off for now and maybe come back to them down the road.

Good luck with the petrotilapia and nice stock list, btw.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mokujin22 said:
Sometimes I tell myself that there's certain fish that aren't meant for me to keep right now. Bad luck or some foreign forces at play.. not sure. You just gotta write it off for now and maybe come back to them down the road.
Yeah I keep playing that in my mind. Going back and forth between buying another group or not. I really like the fish and am bummed the first attempt pretty much crashed on me.

I have time to make up my mind as my 29g grow out tank finishes cycling in the garage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts