Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
My experience is that they are difficult to keep. This was backed up by my LFS.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The local Big Al's got a shipment of small altums a while ago that were about nickel size or a little bigger. The entire shipment died before they were sold. They were a lot less than $40. At those prices, I will never have the experience of keeping them. From those I know who do keep or have tried to keep them, they are difficult, in that they require more care with water quality and parameters. Beautiful fish, but seemingly more trouble than discus. Unless I had a natural supply of soft acidic water I wouldn't risk it. I'm way too cheap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know the feeling and understand. im hoping that because they are captive breed that they are more forgiving with water parameters. according to the breeder they are eating very well.but you are right it is a little too steep to risk right now.

·
Registered
481 Posts
All small angels are sensitive (even farm bred), you are better off spending a little more and getting adult/sub-adult fish, they are usually super aggressive eaters and don't really need such special water params, unless you are trying to breed them.

Ray

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes I saw that on his price list , and the price is reasonable but altums do not ship very well . I would wonder the orgin of these particular specimens . If they are from Peru , Rio ***** , or within those areas , my guess is they are not pure altums but rather hybrids of altums x scalare . I would only trust " altums " coming from Columbia and even then I would want documentation of they actually came from . LFS has some " altums " but they are the Peruvian locality and they are $80 . IMHO , that is too much to spend on hybrid fishes even if it naturally occurs .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the search for the pure race altums gets even more complicated. i didnt know this about acquiring altums. i guess it's like pedigree dogs. u have to know the breeder. ...bamboo, is there a considerable difference in the look of the hybrids?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've purchased alot of fish from Jeff Rapps, and I would trust where he said they came from. It seems Altums are way beyond even discus. IMO these guys are best left for those really qualified to care for them. $40 a fish is alot of money and chances on them surviving are pretty slim. I wish you the best of luck if you decide to give them a go.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I know you want true Altums. They grow pretty large and require a large tank.

I settled on wild caught Peruvian Scalare and am very happy with them. They were half dollar when I got them and grew fast.

Here's a vid from a few months ago. The stripes get darker and fade depending on mood.

....Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts