Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of the references show the maximum size af A. calvus and A. compressiceps at around 6". The largest I have seen are around 3". How big do you have in your tanks and how old are they?

This is a general and unofficial survey just for conversation. My comps are over a year old and the males are 1 1/2" and females an inch. I realize they are slow growers and I am just curious.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Furcifer: I think a 5" wild one has to be mighty impressive. Got a pic?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your hands are as big as mine dude. I am 6 feet 4 tall with big hands. That is a beautiful fish. Based on my hands one of my daughters caught a long eared sunfish in Arkansas that was probably a state record, and we threw it back.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
5 3/8" and maybe 4 years old?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
famikert said:
I happened to be at a local wholesale / retail fish store about 6-7 years ago, and they had just got in some new wild calvus, the yellows were the best looking so I got a trio, there were probably close to 100 fish in the tank all yellow calvus so I got to pick the best looking, and got this male http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0da1 ... /ry%3D400/ , he is probably over 7 inches by now
That is huge for a calvus especially a yellow!

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
These guys are wild so I have no clue on their age.

This male calvus is closing in on 4-inches.

The male Muzi gold head is closing in on 4-inches and the female is not far behind about 3.5"

·
Registered
790 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
Furc, you must have HUGE hands. That span on mine is only 4" from lips to end of tail.
I think there kind of big :lol:

I'm 6' 5" so they look normal to me :dancing:

His female was only like 2.5" he had a thing for the petite girls like me...... My wife is like 5' 4" I think

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Furcifer158 said:
dielikemoviestars said:
Furc, you must have HUGE hands. That span on mine is only 4" from lips to end of tail.
I think there kind of big :lol:

I'm 6' 5" so they look normal to me :dancing:

His female was only like 2.5" he had a thing for the petite girls like me...... My wife is like 5' 4" I think
Ah, 6'5". Makes sense. 5'7" here, which explains it ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree about Razzos calvus. They make my comps look like wallpaper. Really nice. I guess I shouldn't be so hasty to judge mycomps - they are just kids. And by the way Furcifer, my ex was only around 5-4". Makes me think I should have bought her a snail shell. Sorry - that is a bad LOL.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Hawks said:
Here's a pic of my WC male calvus I have had for about 3.5 years. He is between 4.5-5 inches.

He looks huge! I like his mask.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All of these pictures and comments are about great looking calvus and no comps. I have for the past 3-4 months been ready to repalce my comps with white calvus but I am not ready to give up on them yet. Someone show me some great comps. Ruzzo - I used to live in Lansing IL and I would be happy to meet you on the state line for a couple of your blacks. They are great.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts