Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm thinking of housing these amazing tangs and I'd like to hear opinions concerning their minimum requirement.

Do you think a 40cm x 30cm x 30cm would do?

:)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I imagine a single pair might be ok in there but they might not act the way you want them to, I had 4 in a 30"Lx12"Wx15"H and it was fine with the odd rock to break line of sight and a few dithers, I had dwarf neon rainbows, they worked well as dithers. In a bigger tank you could have some Neolamprologus Multifasciatus also, they get along fine. I had sumbu fry swimming amongst the Multies shells, cool. They are quite shy fish but mine done ok in the 30" tank with dithers :thumb:
There are some nice pics on shell dwellers forum , look for georgetax (also from greece) , he took his time and sourced them and his tank looks lovely :fish:

http://www.shelldwellers.com/index.php/ ... 077.0.html

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you are right. I should give them more space, maybe a 30"x12"x12" would be much better.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
189 Posts
karydas said:
I think you are right. I should give them more space, maybe a 30"x12"x12" would be much better.

Thanks a lot.

Perfect :thumb: You could even put something in with them :fish:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kiriyama said:
karydas said:

Thanks a lot.

Perfect :thumb: You could even put something in with them :fish:
If I went for multies, wouldn't they fight for shells?

·
Registered
326 Posts
the smaller shell dwellers. I have a large male in a tank with haps/peacocks (needs a home) that has not been in a shell in years and the tank is littered with them. The smaller female I had would sometimes use a shell to get away from the male but in general they are frequently just as likely to live in caves as they are shells...breeding may be another story though.

·
Registered
189 Posts
papasmurf said:
the smaller shell dwellers. I have a large male in a tank with haps/peacocks (needs a home) that has not been in a shell in years and the tank is littered with them. The smaller female I had would sometimes use a shell to get away from the male but in general they are frequently just as likely to live in caves as they are shells...breeding may be another story though.
I am 100% in agreemant with you, my ones tend to use rocks or caves, the female uses a shell to hide and/or spawn, they are quite shy fish.
I have nearly 40 juveniles in a 4' tank and they are real fun to watch but to be honest they really need to be moved on now :(
Nice fish if you can get them, they are fine with Multies, just put shells at either end of the tank with some rockwork here and there to divide up territories and it should work fine.

On a similiar note, has anyone kept them with Caudopunctatus ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Kiri - I want some :( Why do you have to be so far away!!!

Also i wanted to pick your brains about these fish - you seem to have plenty of experience with them. But i dont want to hijack this thread lol - are you ever in chat?

:thumb:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I was just reading a recent article from Ad Konings on these guys, and he says the 'dwarfs' that use shells are just juveniles looking for a place to hide. They're not shell dwellers.

FWIW

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
prov356 said:
I was just reading a recent article from Ad Konings on these guys, and he says the 'dwarfs' that use shells are just juveniles looking for a place to hide. They're not shell dwellers.

FWIW
Can you post the link of the article here?

·
Registered
189 Posts
kiaratrak said:
Kiri - I want some :( Why do you have to be so far away!!!

Also i wanted to pick your brains about these fish - you seem to have plenty of experience with them. But i dont want to hijack this thread lol - are you ever in chat?

:thumb:
Just ask away :fish:
I can only tell you what I have managed with the ones I have :fish: and other peoples experiences may differ :lol: , where are you in England ? I should be sending some down South pretty soon and it might be near you :thumb:
I am contemplating selling a few over the next few weeks as I should be getting some new Tanganyikans :dancing: to go in the tank :dancing: and the remaining fry will have to go in a smaller tank :fish:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Kiri tell me everything you know from your experience - aggression, breeding, stocking levels, tank size, habits, feeding. Ultimately what i also want to know is whether they would reside with my current fish being my brevis sunspot pair, two caudos and blue goby cichlid. I have a suspicion that i would need a bigger aquarium but how big i wonder?

Im in Lincolnshire - *** just joined the UK Mikes Rift Board - I see they also have some but *** never used them before - i usually go to the store to choose my fish.

They are certainly interesting on profile :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Kiri tell me everything you know from your experience - aggression, breeding, stocking levels, tank size, habits, feeding. Ultimately what i also want to know is whether they would reside with my current fish being my brevis sunspot pair, two caudos and blue goby cichlid. I have a suspicion that i would need a bigger aquarium but how big i wonder?

Im in Lincolnshire - *** just joined the UK Mikes Rift Board - I see they also have some but *** never used them before - i usually go to the store to choose my fish.

·
Registered
189 Posts
kiaratrak said:

Im in Lincolnshire - I've just joined the UK Mikes Rift Board - I see they also have some but I've never used them before - i usually go to the store to choose my fish.

What's your nametag on Mikes ? I go on there from time to time, I bought 4 sumbu from Mike, they were much bigger than the ones currently avaliable, I put them in a 30"L x 12"W x15"H , there was already 6 multies and a julidochromis dickfeldi, not sure if I had moved the 1 caudopunctatus on or not, the mulites were already settled and they ganged up on the sumbu, after removing all fish and trying out a few rockscapes all fish were returned to the tank and settled in. The best set uo was 4 sumbu and 8 dwarf neon rainbows (used for dithers), ihad moved all the multies to there own tank , all males and all kicked the **** out of each other..
I added 2 young multies, I had moved on the dickfeldi but only because i wanted to make room inthe tank. 2 sumbu seemed to spend a lot of time together, i seem to recall that i thought the female picked the male, se then dug round a shell and used it for shelter, they dint dig much, I witnessed lots of courting and she eventually spent a few days fanning in her shell, be very wary, I dont know if it was because other sumbu were in the tank but thay ate the first batch of fry, best removing them from the tank. Point of interest is after mating/spawning the male will still hang around the shell for a day or two then he finds his own bit in the tank, when the female gets harrased by other fish or even a snail going near her shell she will do a headstand in the shell and wiggle her tail, nice bit here is her male friend will rush over and remove the offending intruder, I was successful with the second spawn and got a spawn from the other female at the same time, the second females shell was less than two inches from the first females shell. I lost the second female later, she got stuck in a shek , I think she was corting the larger of the two males this time, as a point of intereste here i had a large and small male and large and small female, it was the smaller male and female that pair up, smaller male appearing to be the more dominant one also..
They spawned a fourth time but i had a couple of young bristlenose plecs in the tank and i think one of them or the larger male (who was constantly trying to get into the fry shell) chased them out way to early, they were tiny crawlers , only about six remained in the tank for a few days, to small to catch, they all perished barr one which i still have and i am definately keeping for myself, anything that small and survives is a cool wee fish...
I have moved them between tanks a few times tryimg out different set uos and the small male and female always sit with each other, they are very shy fish, I found they were fine with a couple if mulites, they definatkey prefer duther to bring out the best in them, ie dark bands, blue grey colour. black fin yellow tail etc, they will display more and appear more relaxxed, i wouldnt put them in with anything to nasty or boisterous, i.e. leleupi, i had the two in a 48ltr and they just hid under a lrge piece of slate. no more spawns. i have them i a 4' with alk the fry (fry just a bit smaller than mommy now lol), see sig... in the next few weeks i will be adding cyos or paracyps (fry will be in a different tank) and i definately predict a change in their behaviour, i think after the oter fih w=have been in the tank a few weeks i might even be hoping for another spawn, they do not hold big territories and like to have a couple of shells near rocks, i found thats when all the spawning kicked in , the famale will use the shell and the male will hide in the rocks, this is not 100% accurate as i have seen both males hiding in shells, also have seen both maes sitting side by side and sharing cave , no fighting, males slightly agressive to each other during breeding, all i ever seen was them turning there backs to each other and flaring up, harmless, its cool watching them turn almost black.. when in dim light ir next to dark rocks they look there best.. you see the yellow tail and fins...
hope this helps a but, ill sit and do a wee juornal and try keep it brief, ie dates , spawns atc , tankmates so on, it might help... oh oh i forgot to mention a really nice part of the sumbu personality is if the female gets any trouble from any fish one of the males will rush to her rescue and chase the fish away, they even do this when its not there "girlfriend"

female in left male in right lol

female fanning last spawn, note watchful male in background
[/img]

not my ones but mine came from the same batch so probably brothers and sisters aahh pics used by permission
[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Can you post the link of the article here?
I found it, but it's not online. It's in the Christmas 2010 issue of 'Practical Fishkeeping'. The article is 'The Slender Stalker', Ad Konings, p. 49. In it he says:

In captivity fry grow exceptionally slowly and it can take three years to become sexually mature. Interestingly, the best chance to see such a juvenile in the lake is on the sandy bottom where they seem to hide in empty snail shells. Shell-dwelling A. compressiceps can be seen at various places around the lake. They are not common and I believe they are just sub-adult individuals which have temporarily found shelter where they can. When such shell dwellers are captured and kept in an aquarium without small shells they usually grow out to normal size. It the lake these shell dwellers often swim from their shell when threatened by a diver -- something a true shell dweller would rarely do. I think some divers deliberately hunt the cichlids in shell beds because I have never seen a shell-dwelling A. compressiceps hiding in an isolated shell like L. brevis and L. ocellatus. They are always found in groups or beds of empty shells.

Interesting perspective. In his 'back to nature' book, he lists a shell dwelling comp that only gets half as big as others, but in his 'natural habitat' book (a later book) he doesn't mention shell dwelling comps at all and he lists quite a few.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Cheers, I have seen that quote posted on another forum, another thing i read was that they will actually grow bigger in the aquarium than in the wils, similiar to your quote :thumb:
at the moment there are no shells in my own tank, only because the fry are in there, once the tank is set up proper without fry there will definatley be a shell bed, cheers for posting :fish:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks Kiri - sounds like they would need a three foot minimum then? Im wondering whether i could do an eventual upgrade of tank and house these guys with my current residents - the brevis pair, blue goby and caudos. I worry that the Brevis and Sumbu might not get on because of being shellies - but from this thread it sounds like there is a bit of a question mark over that? As you have seen i do favour the lighter brighter set up - for example i currently have the coral substrate and ocean rock - perhaps this would not be ideal. It makes me wonder what my alternative options would be if i were adding to my current collection and had more space..... hmmmm

Btw my tag is the same on Mike's forum. :thumb:

Perhaps i should just stick with what *** got and not upgrade yet. I have a feeling ill want to get a big malawi set up going next year and then ill be stuck with a redundant system and fish that need new homes. Its a difficult decision - i cant afford to have loads on the go like i used to :lol:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I know the feeling , I'm onto my third tank , and working on a project for my fourth lol
In the last few months I have juggled about a bit so not much fun, stripped and redone three tanks in one go just the other day, the four foot tank should be finished in the next few weeks. I was nearly getting 4 or 5 Caudopunks and a couple of new shellies for the two and a half footer, I'm stripping that tank in a few months and the fish would have nowhere to go... to many to choose from lol :fish:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts