Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my name is Chris and I am new here. I'm not new to keeping African Cichlids, but I am new to keeping them beyond the "casual" hobbyist. Recently I started setting up equipment to keep and raise up some breeding stock. I prefer Aulonocara ssp but found I really have a desire to work with the Alto's as well. Something about a swimming mohawk that does it for me :D

Anyhow, I purchased a group of Alto (listed below) and was wondering if it would be OK to keep each group of three set up in a 10g with 20g capacity sponge filters. I originally intended to use this as a temp grow-out until I get my 30-40g breeder tanks in. Do you think it will be an issue keeping 3 1.5-2" Alto's in a 10g for a month or two?

Altolamprologus calvus black ink fin (1.5 inches)

Altolamprologus calvus white Chaitika (1.5 inches)

Altolamprologus compressiceps gold head (1.5 inches)

Altolamprologus calvus yellow (2 inches)

Also, for S&G here is a photo of my 14" Fly River. He lives in a 300g tank + 70g sump with some of my other Africans.

H/D Compressiceps
Aulonocara "Bloods"
Auratus
Livingstonii
Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi
Cobalt Blue

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
A month or two might work out. They grow very slowly, but can be aggressive quite young. I think it's worth a shot, assuming you'll keep up with the water quality (weekly water changes of 30% or more are often good for alto growth). However, it would be a really good idea to have a "time out" tank- a spare set up for aggressive or injured fish.

And, a question for you- why three of each? Altos take so long to grow out that it often pays to start with a larger group if you intend to breed them. I suggest at least 5 of each type once you get your larger tanks going.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
15 altolamp juvies????

I'd put them all in a 20 gallon tank until you get your bigger breeder tanks going (short term). I think, at that size, the more you put in a smaller space the better chance you have to avoid fatal aggression. Too many targets for any one fish to get picked on too bad.

I use the same philosphy only with more juvies in a 55 gallon tank. Give them plenty of structure so everyone can claim some spot and not always be seeing each other.

I probably have three 300+ in a 55 at one time and I don't lose any fish.

Best wishes :thumb:

Russ

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the feedback. I kept the numbers low so that I can work unrelated animals into the groups.

Razzo, you have pm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I had a great weekend locally finding some bigger tanks. I now have a 45 breeder for my Aulonocara ssp Firefish group, and two 29's one for my Aulonocara Baenschi trio and the other will be for my growout of the Alto's.

I have 30 fish I'll pickup on Friday and I'm stoked! :thumb:

and cause I know you are slightly curious...

Altolamprologus Calvus Black ink fin - raising for breeders

Altolamprologus Calvus White Chaitika - raising for breeders

Altolamprologus Compressiceps Gold head - raising for breeders

Altolamprologus Calvus Yellow - raising for breeders

Dimidiochromis Compressiceps - Large male to go with three girls in the 370

Sciaenochromis Fryeri albino electric blue White Knight - Display tank

Aulonocara Dragon Blood German Line (aka Firefish) - raising for breeders

Aulonocara Baenschi Benga yellow - breeders

Aulonocara Maylandi sulferhead - raising for breeders

Aulonocara Sunset albino - raising for breeders

Aulonocara Sunshine yellow - raising for breeders

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Once you mix these fish together as juveniles you won't reliably be able to tell many of them apart. I would highly advise against mixing the Altolamprologus together, or many of the Aulonocara.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Fogelhund said:
Once you mix these fish together as juveniles you won't reliably be able to tell many of them apart. I would highly advise against mixing the Altolamprologus together, or many of the Aulonocara.
Exactly what I was thinking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Definitely won't be mixing the Aulonocara, because of the females looking the same. However (correct me if needed) when the 4 types of Alto I have listed mature they will be easy to tell apart. White, black, yellow, and a. Comp.....unable to differentiate, seriously?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
You betcha- white and black especially. The comps, not so much of a problem, but the yellow calvus can look like whites, and vice versa. Here's a pair of adults I had- you tell me if they were white, yellow or black:

How bout this one:

And this one:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:lol: back to the drawing board. Thanks for the feedback :thumb:

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I've kept all three types of calvus, raised their fry. I've had nearly black yellow calvus... I've had light black calvus... you might be able to tell them apart, but I certainly wouldn't want to have to try it. I guarantee you could easily confuse people with some...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fogelhund said:
I've kept all three types of calvus, raised their fry. I've had nearly black yellow calvus... I've had light black calvus... you might be able to tell them apart, but I certainly wouldn't want to have to try it. I guarantee you could easily confuse people with some...
No worries, I'm heeding the advise :thumb:

·
Registered
150 Posts
triscuit said:
Fogelhund said:
Exactly what I was thinking.
I was thinking the same thing when I first saw this thread. I've kept 1 type of comp and 1 type of Calvus together in the same tank before. Side by side they were easy to tell apart. Never ever would I put a group of white calvus and a group of black calvus in the same tank and think that I was going to be able to reliably tell them apart at a later date.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for the help guys! I adjusted my order so that I only have two groups of alto coming in. This way I have tank space for them to be separate. Being a noob to those fish and misreading an above post I almost put all of them together.

Thanks for saying something!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts