Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month, or so, ago I decided to split off a group of altolamp fry in a 30 gallon tank with some black substrate to see how they would look as compared to a bare glass tank. Granted, my daughter has my DSLR at school so these pics are with my point & shoot. Here is group B :)

F1 Altolamprologus calvus black congo white pearl

F1 Altolamprologus compressiceps chaitika orange fin

·
Registered
359 Posts
Your altos are always fantastic :thumb: . Do you think your sand influences the amount of white flecks they have? It seems the calvus have an exceptionally high number of them, and there are even a few on your comps.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Gee Russ, those Altos look an awful lot like mine :wink:

I noticed right away a difference though which I'm guessing may have to do with your dark substrate.. I have white(ish) sand and my Calvus are dark, but striped the whole length of the body. Yours are more solid black and the white pearls are more prominent. I wonder how they compare to group A in your bare bottom tank (if they look the same or more like mine?).

And your pictures are superb, regardless of which camera you use, so stop sweating it :thumb:

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bearded lab said:
Your altos are always fantastic :thumb: . Do you think your sand influences the amount of white flecks they have? It seems the calvus have an exceptionally high number of them, and there are even a few on your comps.
Thanks mate!

The calvus black congo white pearl are know for having the largest white pearls of any calvus. They do seem to be a little darker with the dark substrate; however, I have noticed with the parents that they can turn the dark on & off with white substrate based on mood. I have found mood to make a huge difference - when a couple females get biffy with each other, they get almost black.

All of this pics are in a tank with white substrate...

Dark mode

And some pics in the lighter mode

And the yellow nose that I like

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TMB60 said:

I noticed right away a difference though which I'm guessing may have to do with your dark substrate.. I have white(ish) sand and my Calvus are dark, but striped the whole length of the body. Yours are more solid black and the white pearls are more prominent. I wonder how they compare to group A in your bare bottom tank (if they look the same or more like mine?).

And your pictures are superb, regardless of which camera you use, so stop sweating it :thumb:

Cheers,
Tom
Thanks Tom :)

How are your calvus bcwp doing?

Here's some Group A pics previously posted. I guess they are lighter...
These pics are a few months old and the fry have got bigger.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bearded lab said:
The sparkles on the comps were ingerited from their dad...

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TMB60 said:

Cheers,
Tom
Hey Tom,

Here's a pic from another fry customer of mine from another site. I noticed how dark they are over a darker substrate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts