Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone can let me know what type of calvus these are.. They are very rare in the country at the moment so hoping they are a pair and breed for me!

Thanks for any suggestions anyone can offer :)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
They look just like mine which i have always referred to them as and were sold to me as "Black Calvus Zambian"

From what I read there is very small differences in the patterns of the fish and most are impossible to tell which collection point they come from since it is kept a big secret for some reason.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm certainly not an expert, but based upon what I've read in the past, those are what is commonly referred to as Altolamprologus calvus 'black' or 'black congo'.

A lot of calvus variants can become quite dark at times, so it becomes difficult to really know which variant/collection point we have. That is, unless you purchased wild-caught specimen from the collector.

Again, from what I've read, the one "darker" variant that sets itself apart is what is referred to as the 'ink fin'. This fish's pectoral fins will ALWAYS be dark black and never present a transparent look, like the others will. Based on your second photo, and IMO, you can rule out the 'ink fin' variant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome thanks alot for the help, I was leaning more towards calvus black too..

With the poor selection of fish we get the in country we hardly ever get anything nailed down to a proper variant anyway.

Cheers, now to try and breed them :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just got to let you guys know,there a new calvus on the market called Black Congo White Pearl,similar to ink fins,but you can greatly see the differnce,whith the strain,white dots being more visable,with a bluish ting at the mouth,and body,strain wise could be diffrent as the black,to copper brown bands,but as the white pearly calvus,theres now congo white pearls,collection point?i would never tell lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts