Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these guys grow really slow, but how slow is really slow? Also I have heard of these guys being shy eaters, but I have so far not experienced this ... what are their favorite foods?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Under an inch a year for me. Sometimes when kept with other cichlids they seem to shrink but its just relative they grow just slow I think.
I do not feed particularly heavily or do more than 30-50% weekly waterchanges and keep em at normal temps about 75 F.
I think others may get faster growth.
Interested to see what folk say.
WC can be slow to accept dead food sometimes. I found popping these in with TB that eat voratiously soon fixed that. They were soon compeating for every flake or pellet I put in just like most other fish.
I think if you keep just a WC pair, its then that they can sometimes bully the owner into feeding what they chouse (live stuff like small shrimps) rather than what the owner would preffer and find easier.

All the best James

·
Registered
147 Posts
they grow real slow. i have some that are around 2 inches, and probabally a yr old. as for shy eaters, i noticed with black calvus that they are very secretive with eating, but my yellow comps i have now eat faster than my mbuna tank does, which is kind of crazy. *** never had fresh w/c fish though so i cant talk about them. wild fish do grow slower though, and tend to stay smaller. mine readily eat flake food, and i supplement with various live and frozen foods. theyre by far my favorite fish i own.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Mine I think grow faster than my cyps :-? The little malasa island comps I got about a month back are already double in size

Most of my tanks are around 80 to 84. I keep them pretty high in the fish room.

·
Super Moderator
40,483 Posts
They don't get to six inches in a year like mbuna, I can tell you that. I find the juveniles grow pretty quick, but it takes 2-3 years to get a six inch altolamp.

·
Registered
589 Posts
A friend gave me some Comp fry Christmas of 2009. They were less than 1/2 inch then, and were a few months old already. They are now around 2 inches... they grow slow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts