Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I wouldnt think there would be a need for the heavy duty one for 20g longs, unless you ever think you will be putting larger tanks on there in the future.

I would put a few of them on there without thinking twice as long its on nice hard level surface.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only concern really is the shelving board is that wonderful MDF board dont want it to sag since i would prob center them on the shelve. prob could get 3/4 inch plywood and replace that to ease my mind just want to be sure before i place 2-3 20longs and have 60gallons all over my floor and dead fish haha emailed the company see what they say

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would want to see it in person before committing to use it. One question might be the spacing between shelves. At 60" high, divided into three, that give 20 inches between shelves, maybe? That might be tight to work in. Might want to give that some thought. The MDF is definitely one to stay away from in the plan. Very little strength and even worse when it gets wet.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I would get a unit sized for the tanks I intented to put on them. Meaning, if you're going with 20L's, then get a 12" deep unit. If you go with the 18" deep, then put an 18" wide tank on it, like a 30B. Then the MDF becomes a non-issue. Check out this site where he makes extensive use of these units. Looks like he's used some type of laminated particle board. Something you could consider is sealing the MDF. Something also to consider is just building a rack with 2x4's, which are a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have to check site out later planned on building something but my times been consumed with other things so was looking for something quick and easy back to the drawling board i suppose or keep looking

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have personally purchased a number of these exact units to help organize stuff in our crawlspace. These are very flimsy, stamped sheet metal units that may be great (but debatable) for storing your Christmas ornaments in the off-season, but I would DEFINITELY mot trust them to support the weight of my tanks!

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
WaterRat980 said:
I have personally purchased a number of these exact units to help organize stuff in our crawlspace. These are very flimsy, stamped sheet metal units that may be great (but debatable) for storing your Christmas ornaments in the off-season, but I would DEFINITELY mot trust them to support the weight of my tanks!
I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I use these at my work place, and they're not stamped, nor flimsy. I think I know the ones you're referring to, but these he's posted about are not the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
2,008 Posts
I've seen the second link (in person) that Frazee posted and I would NOT use it. The rack is joined in the middle and they are prone to lateral movement and twisting as there is no additional bracing to prevent movement.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Deeda said:
I've seen the second link (in person) that Frazee posted and I would NOT use it. The rack is joined in the middle and they are prone to lateral movement and twisting as there is no additional bracing to prevent movement.
Ok, I just looked at the first one. The second is only rated at 74lb, so a definite no go.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
You are correct to avoid particle board or MDF for shelving to hold weight. It isn't just a matter of sealing it to protect it from water. The way it is made makes it really prone to splitting at any fasteners used. If you have put any knock down furniture together that used these two, you probably have found how easy it is to split the holes out if you get the fastener a bit off plumb. That sort of thing is really bad when you want it to hold weight.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Been there. Done that. Wouldn't do it again.

I even reinforced it by extra crossbars and such, it was sturdy! I replaced the wood, but just the little drops around it made the wood start to rot where it got unerneat the tank, the metal rusted behind the wood, before long the stand (as in like 2 months), stank, looked awful, and is now in a pile in the garage, to be eventually used for it's intended purpose, garage storage! I went out and bought a bonafide stand.

The all-plastic ones would work MUCH better. There are some strong, heavy duty ones that can hold a couple thousand pounds, they won't rust or rot, there is actually a Local Fish Store around here that sets up their tanks on those composite shelving units. Metal or wood though, i'd stay away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts