Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to ad ammonia to the water you have with goldfish in already to help cycle? Is this crazy.? I have 2 aquariums im trying to cycle. 20 long and 80 gallon. 20 gall setup for 2 weeks had 5 goldfish 3 died 2 others seem to be fine. 80 gallon bought 10 goldfish setup for week all seem fine. I got syphoned water from LFS that uses undergravel filters. I put the sponges on my filters in bucket of this water squezed them first then let them soak up dirty water. Anyways my test kits come in on wed. I will test then. But any info would be cool. TY

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what if i took the 2 gold fish out could i continue with amonia, i really want to have very good bio load, so i can stock a little on heavy side!!

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Bodenhimer said:
what if i took the 2 gold fish out could i continue with amonia, i really want to have very good bio load, so i can stock a little on heavy side!!
Yes, that's one of the benefits of fishless cycling. You can build bacteria to handle a full load of fish.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yes if you take the goldfish out you can add more ammonia. You want to monitor the pH because it will drop and once it gets too low (less than about 6.5) the ammonia will start to build up. So you will have to change some water or add a buffer to get the pH back up.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i got my test kit today. My amonia was .25 roughly on both tanks. My nitrate on little tank looks to be between 40 and 80 ppm. and my 80 gallon looks to be between 20 and 40 ppm. 40 or less is optimal right? So water change for little tank? I would like to now try to do some more bioload buildup. So I take the 2 goldfish out in 20 gallon and do what with my clear amonia? Raise it to 5ppm like article says. Everyday until nitrite spike. AM I on right track TY guys!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
you want to add the ammonia but not so much that the nitrite gets out of hand. You can try for 2-3 ppm a day but once nitrite starts to increase cut back on the ammonia. Then as the nitrite starts to decrease you increase the ammonia and repeat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts