Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it turns out the stock i have for my 45gal long is all wrong.
So far it consists of 2 Oscars, 1 Buttikoferi, 1 jack dempsey, 1 convict, 1 electric yellow, 1 duboisi and an asian upside down cat. I know the electric yellow and duboisi must go.. and I would HATE to get rid of the oscars and butti... as thier my fav's..

what to do, what to do......................

·
Registered
59 Posts
unless you plan on getting a bigger tank nix the oscars. They are fun if you like feeding them live fish but when they get older and larger they will need space for themselves that is generally larger than your tank altogether.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
with a clean water and good food... about 10 months (That Buttikoferi is going to become a beast :) )

And I am assuming they are all babies (less than 2 inches).

·
Registered
617 Posts
Dane559 said:
thanks ZeNozzle! how long would you say it would take for them to out grow my 45?
Very fast. It wont be long before one decided that tank is his and he starts killing. Most likely the Butti.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'd say it'd take them maybe 3 months tops to outgrow it, the oscars should be growing about an inch every month, and if they're around 2-3" now, imagine them at 6" in that tank

·
Registered
173 Posts
As stated about the oscars out growing the tank but I believe that the JD is the only one that is not going to out grow the tank. If my memory serves me well a asian upside down cat gets to be about a ft. With that said if you wish to keep the Oscars and Buttikoferi i suggest a 125 or larger. A 6ft tank is ideal for them as that gives them length to swim and maybe stay out of each others way.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Those baby oscars are almost too cute to pass up, bit very shortly you will have more bio-load that that 45 can deal with, not to mention no room to turn around without bumping into something, but i do understand the theory, sooo many cute fish so few fish tanks to put them in comfortably.

Most new aquarist make the same mistake, i did it and so have thousands of others, but we live and learn.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My Oscar I've had a little over a year, is 10 inches now. He is surviving in a bare bones 55. I wish I could him something bigger, but our couch is not that comfortable. My kids gave him to me last Christmas, for my cichlid tank. They didn't know! That did get me a second 55 tho'.

G

·
your buttikoferi is going to kill everything in that tank when it gets big enough to do it... those things are mean

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
While buttikoferi are mean, I did see a large one traded in at the local big Al's. It was close to a foot long and as fat as can be. He came from a 180 and his tank mates were platies. These were the largest platies I have ever seen being around 3" and they were fat enough to look like they had dropsy. It was an unlikely and odd occurance, but i found it very interesting.

G

·
my friend had a buttikoferi that jus killed anything you put in the tank with it..e ven other aggressive fish it would jus batter until they were dead..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts