Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I know someone can help me with this odd behavior

I have recently (within last 2 weeks) switched my africans from a 55 gal to a 75 gal tank.
Yellow lab who sits in the corner of the tank almost upright staring at the top of the tank.
below his mouth its all white. Have never seen this before. I tried to compare it to the other one but I can't find him. His hiding spot is too good for me. I did see him at feeding time but I didn't check his color.
Everyone seems to be eating ok.
But everyone is hiding.
Everyone in the tank is approx. 7 months old.
I know this is the best mix but for the most part everyone gets along.
No nitate
Ph is above 7.8
Water temp is 78
Gh is 80
Kh is 100

2 yellow labs
2 red empress
1 mixed peacock
1 BN pleco
2 Electric Blue ( 1 m and 1 F )

Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
You cannot have 0 nitrates unless there is:

1) No fish or
2) Low fish and a ton of plants or
3) You haven't built up enough beneficial bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrates

Either you did the test wrong or it's gone bad.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
You better check your ammonia and nitrite levels too. Something is fishy with that nitrite reading of 0.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry I tested for ammonia and got 0

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Did you add any new rock or something different? The yellow labs who hangs in the corner of the tank sounds like he's being bullied. I have no idea what the white patch would be. Maybe damage from a fight?

It may be that thier just not used to thier new surroundings and given time will be out and about again. My Mbuna after 5 years still spook every once in a while and it's hard to believe I have any fish at all they hide so well.

I would keep an eye on water parameters and give them a little more time to divvy up territory.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with the switch from the 55 to the 75 i added some crushed coral and a large ship wreck. They stay near the wreck most of the time. As for the white coloring it looks like he is turning pale.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Probably just not enough fish and they don't feel secure as yet in their new territories. The lab is definitely being harrassed (that is a classic position). Mbuna get white lips when they have been lip locking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So can i solve this problem by adding a few more hiding spaces such as a another rock formation or a few more plants? Or do i just need to face the reality that I need to remove the red empress from this tank.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
As DJRansome said, you may just need to add more fish. It helps pass the aggression around. In the mean time, if your sure its the Red Empress doing the bullying remove him to another tank and add more fish to the 75g. With very good flitration you could get better then 20-22 fish in thier. With dwarf mbuna even more. After they have settled in reintroduce the empress.

Extra hiding places are always a good idea with Mbuna.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have an eheim 2215 canister and 2 cascade HOB which is over kill but that is ok. also an UGF is running with a sponge. what other fish would you suggest.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Malawi are not pairing fish, so I would add females to the species you already have: 4 labs, 2 empress, 2 Fryeri.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It could be any number of things, but one possibility is ph shock. My fish behaved similarly when I added cichlid buffer (baking soda, epson salt, and marine salt) to raise ph and hardness. I realize now that I should have done it gradually, but I did it all at once raising the ph about a full point. Fortunately my fish survived, but they acted strange (stayed hidden most of the time) for a few days. When you moved the fish, did you move the water or are you using different water in the new tank? Is it possible that the ph is significantly different in the new tank?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that could be possible I used new water that ran with the old filters for a few days before the switch. I didn't have crushed coral in the previous.

I should get a more accurate ph tester as the one i have reads 7.8 as its highest.

They swam around like crazy the first 2 weeks. Its only recent that they started to hide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts