Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in from work last night at 10pm to find all my Malawi cichlids dead!

The water was very hot and it read 93 Fahrenheit! So I'm pretty sure my heater has broken was weird was that the water was really cloudy ? I tested my water and everything seemed fine so i could only put it down to the heater which cooked them?

Anyway I've started the clear up operation this morning and it smells pretty bad! The water was still cloudy and the glass of my Rio 180 was covered in white stuff ( see pictures )

Am i thinking that this was the heater? And what is that white stuff ?

I'm also thinking of changing the water pump and filter while I've empted the tank for something else i was looking at something like a Eheim Ecco Pro 300 Filter would this be a good choice?

Any help would be greatly accepted as I'm pretty fed up at the moment :(

Thank you.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Sorry about your losses. Not sure what the white stuff is, but the heat definitely took them out. I'd gently rinse everything in the hopes that some bacteria survived the heat.

For your next setup, downsize your heater. A heater that can raise the temp over 90 has too much wattage. I know that oftentimes the thinking wiht heaters is more is better, but you've seen first hand why that's not the case. As a test with your next one, crank it up all the way and see what it takes the temp up to. If it'll only raise it to something in the mid to upper 80's, it's perfectly sized. The thinking that says 'adding more wattage to be safe' actually only increase the risk of experiencing what you did.

Just start thinking of all the cool fish you can keep now, and you'll get into it again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tim for your advice.

I think I'll have to start the tank from new again at which point I plan to add a rock background and maybe a external filter ? As at the moment I have the built in one.

Do you have any advice on which heater please?

Thank you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are there much benefits with a inline heater?

I'm really considering a external filter though they look like there'll do a better job than my internal jewul one does.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Do you have any advice on which heater please?
You'll see if you look at the reviews that there are lemons in every batch, doesn't matter. So, the safest thing is to get it sized properly. Stay away from the 'more power' philosophy that many seem to go with when it comes to heaters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts