Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 155 gallon bow front, mixed malawi. Not looking at keeping babies. I have been told that with out the females the males don't really have anyone to display to. Right now the tank has both male and females, and most of the males are displayed. If there are no females will there be only a couple males that will color up, or will they all? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi,

I have an all males tank, haps and peacocks only. Most of my males are coloring up so far, some more than others. I dont know how its gonna be in the long term. Some of my males are still juvenile. For an all male, it is better to start with juveniles (less agression) and avoid mbunas. It is also better to avoid similar colored and pattern fish, and add some algae eaters (BN pleco) because the haps and peacocks dont eat algae that much.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
For evidence that all-male tanks are abundant with color, just check youtube. Other than that, it's just preference, since you're not interested in breeding. Either have lots of females for your boys, or have lots of boys and no females. :)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
There is indeed that extra 10% the boys show off when there are girls around that goes from great looking to you simply marvel. However, if you take care in stocking and stay on top of aggression/hyper-dominance then you can have most every fish color up very nicely.

Pictures below were taken on New Year's Eve. My Red Shoulder Peacock is the only adult not in color and the two juvie peacocks show some color at 3.5in but I expect more in time.

Adult Placidochromis electra - fully colored.

Adult Otopharynx lithobates (Zimbawe) - best he will ever look without girls.

Adult Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania" - in his glory.

Juvie 3.5in Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri" - not colored up yet.

Adult Aulonocara "German Red" - need I say more.

Adult Aulonocara stuartgranti (Chiloelo) - not fully colored.

The two Juvie peacocks in the tank both 3.5in or so.

Adult Aulonocara sp. "Walteri" - fully colored.

To show the size difference - Juvie Peacock vs. Adult Pheno.

Adult Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" (Taiwan Reef) - fully colored.

Adult Protomelas sp. "Spilonotus Tanzania" (Liuli) - fully colored.

·
Registered
69 Posts
WOW Goofboy!!! Your Placidochromis electra is amazing!!!! I hope mine gets like that! He is only about 2-3" right now and starting to show the teal in the face with some hints of blue on the body!!

But yours is the best *** ever seen!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Spadz said:
WOW Goofboy!!! Your Placidochromis electra is amazing!!!! I hope mine gets like that! He is only about 2-3" right now and starting to show the teal in the face with some hints of blue on the body!!

But yours is the best I've ever seen!
Most underrated hap out there in my opinion - wish you luck with your little guy.

Another picture for you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Been wanting an electra for a while now. Too bad they are so hard to find around these parts. Your fish look amazing. Drooling over the liuli!

As for the original post. I have a (mostly) all male tank. I do have a quintet of yellow labs, but the rest are all males, and they are all showing at least some color. Obviously the dominant fish shows the most color most often, but all of them are coloring up. It is taking a while, but I enjoy watching the transitions.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Sir Tristen said:
Been wanting an electra for a while now. Too bad they are so hard to find around these parts. Your fish look amazing. Drooling over the liuli!
I have done business in Odgen with Weber State Univeristy, Ogden-Weber Applied Technology College, and McKay-Dee Hospital, so I do know the area a little.

My P. Electra actually came from Draper, UT straight down 15 from you. Sounds like a day trip to load up on fish to me :D.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've considered a trip to Draper. I may just have to break down and do it. I occasionally see the Lwanda and some others I might be interested in there as well. My 75 gallon needs a little fleshing out.

What do you do that requires so much travel?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Sir Tristen said:
I've considered a trip to Draper. I may just have to break down and do it. I occasionally see the Lwanda and some others I might be interested in there as well. My 75 gallon needs a little fleshing out.

What do you do that requires so much travel?
PM Sent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts