Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm down to 2, 5ft 120 gallons, I thought I would fill one with all my favorite cichlids. I've had lots of breeding groups over the years, but never attempted and all male. I appreciate any and all input!

Today, I did the Florida Panhandle tour, and this is what I sourced locally, from going to 6 lfs. I know the Dimidochrmis and Venustus may get too large and/or aggressive, but I'll rehome them if that becomes an issue. I'd like to add a few more fish including an Albino Taiwan reef and Plac Electra, and Iodotropheus Spregerae, and a Male Alto Comp. How many male fish would you stock a 5 ft 120 with? I have an FX5, and will add another if necessary. I change 50 percent water weekly.

What I got today
Astatotilapia latifasciata
Aulonocara "German Red"
Aulonocara kandeense
Aulonocara stuartgranti (Ngara)
Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri" (Chipoka)
OB Peacock
Copadichromis borleyi (Kadango)
Cyrtocara moorii
Dimidiochromis compressiceps
Labidochromis caeruleus (Nkhata Bay)
Labidochromis caeruleus (Lion's Cove I)
Metriaclima greshakei
Neolamprologus Pulcher Daffodil
Nimbochromis venustus
Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli)
Pundamilia sp. "crimson tide"
Scienochromis Freyeri

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
I'd do 15 males in a 60" tank if they stay under 6" at maturity. I would have said a higher number before I saw what 12 juvenile males look like in my 48" tank. :lol:

And the one 8" male I put in that tank came right back out...just looked like he had no room.

I did have an altolamprologus in the tank for a while. He was rejected from the Tang tank by the other male. I also took him out. He survived and he was getting enough food. But he stuck to one small area of the tank and did not swim about freely as he did with the Tangs. He looked uncomfortable and he made me uncomfortable watching the tank.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
I'd do 15 males in a 60" tank if they stay under 6" at maturity. I would have said a higher number before I saw what 12 juvenile males look like in my 48" tank. :lol:

And the one 8" male I put in that tank came right back out...just looked like he had no room.

I did have an altolamprologus in the tank for a while. He was rejected from the Tang tank by the other male. I also took him out. He survived and he was getting enough food. But he stuck to one small area of the tank and did not swim about freely as he did with the Tangs. He looked uncomfortable and he made me uncomfortable watching the tank.
Thanks DJ, exactly the type of response I was looking for.

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
My ngara is the wimp of the tank. Let me know how the kandeense does, I want one, LOL.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
My ngara is the wimp of the tank. Let me know how the kandeense does, I want one, LOL.
I'll get a pic, small right now, but already gorgeous.

My Ahli committed suicide last night. I was watching the tank and he shot straight up and hit the glass. I was woried..found hime dead this morning. I had a fish given to me(as a Red Shoulder Peacock, but I think he is a hsp mix), and as beautiful as he is, he was stressing everyone, so I pulled him last night...not in time to save the Ahli...

Her he is. He was hard to photograph as he was zipping around the tank intimidating everyone!

·
Registered
174 Posts
you have a couple of the same fish I have in my 5 foot 100 gallon male tank. I don't have too many problems-my ahli is my tank boss but he is also quite large (6") and a beautiful show fish.

I have an Astatotilapia latifasciata and Pundamillia sp "blue bar" and I was a little nervous at first the two wouldn't fit in in my malawi tank.

I was wrong. The latifasciata is a pretty good match and happy in both the rockwork and open water which is enjoyable to watch. He is about 3-4" right now and coloring up nicely.

The pundamillia has become one of my favorites. He is small, about 3" so the smallest in my tank, and hasn't quite fully colored up. But he is a feisty bugger and puts up with getting picked on quite well because he's not afraid to give a little back. He has a little corner with some plants that he defends pretty well and is fun to watch.

Some other fish in my tank that fit in well that might work for you:

ivoryhead mloto
Cryt moorii (I was nervous about him at first too being too peaceful, but he's about 5" and seems to enjoy the activity in the tank)

My ngara is the tank whimp too. I don't mind-he stays colored up 24/7 and is stunning however he always manages to be missing when something goes down. No complaints from me!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Floridagirl said:
DJRansome said:
I'll get a pic, small right now, but already gorgeous.
I'm interested to see how your Kandeense turns out as well. Every male I've kept has not colored to their full potential (in a community tank) unless their in a species only tank.

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts