Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering using a 75 gallon tank to start an all male Peacock/Hap tank. To try and spread expense out I'm wondering if there is a minimum number of fish to start with. Three? Four? Possibly.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My mostly male peacock aquarium actually began with 5 mbunas and 10 haps. I added the peacocks over time but cannot recall the exact ratio. I rehomed the female haps and mbunas as they matured, and rehomed some of the male peacocks over a period of months until I finally found "peace"...knock on wood!

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to African cichlids too!....have some Electric Blue Acaras in a 55 along with mollies and cories. I went "silly" at the fish store when getting some fresh mollie males to freshen the group's gene pool and bought 2 albino "peacocks" from the mutt tank. Ones male other female...I threw them in my tank and they are fine for now (less than 2 inches, mollies have tried to breed with them, so sad). I bought and am cycling another 55 just for the peacocks. Here's the question - do I get a male and 3 female pack of a blue variety? I have no idea what my albino is or will look like...so I don't know if a yellow or red would cause fights when he matures, will he stay solid pink? Honestly don't want more blue since I already have blue in the other tank. Sigh, impulses can be expensive. Then I thought do all males? I don't think I could handle not getting attached...and then the carnage adventure of finding the "peaceful tank"...ok if fry get eaten...just not shredded fins of boys I had grown. Thanks for any advice...I have been researching...this site amazing.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
You could save and then buy them all at once. One problem with 5 at a time is you would want to quarantine each addition so it means an extra tank, filter, heater, etc.

·
Registered
165 Posts
fish_gazer said:
My mostly male peacock aquarium actually began with 5 mbunas and 10 haps. I added the peacocks over time but cannot recall the exact ratio. I rehomed the female haps and mbunas as they matured, and rehomed some of the male peacocks over a period of months until I finally found "peace"...knock on wood!
bawahahahaha, what a fool. I've learned since that post that there is no such thing as peace, there is only the calm before the storm, and that storm is perpetual. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.